Cannot connect with McAfee

Has anyone been able to connect to Xbox Live with their McAfee Firewall turned on.

I have added every setup and IP address i can but still cannot get McAfee to let the connection go through.

I am running the Xbox connection through an Ethernet connection and have setup the Home Network.

Has anyone worked this out yet??

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hi, software firewalls like mcafee change version and setup all the time as they release new versions, the best people to ask are Mcafee themselves its just a case of opening up the firewall for the Xbox live ports. I would ask mcafee themselves or a forum on their website as no-one knows there product better than themselves

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="the1onlyPJ"]

Has anyone been able to connect to Xbox Live with their McAfee Firewall turned on.

I have added every setup and IP address ...

[/quote]

Adding "every setup and IP address" nullifies the whole purpose of having a firewall in the first place. Please don't take this in the wrong way: If you can't properly configure a third party firewall, you shouldn't use one. Setting up a user configurable firewall is very difficult and requires a lot of knowledge about networking.

If you want to make your life a lot easier, I suggest you uninstall the McAffee Firewall and let the Windows built-in firewall do it's job instead, for the following reasons:

You say you connect through your PC. So I assume you are bridging the Xbox via your PCs WLAN to a WLAN router. The router itself is a hardware firewall, as all incoming data packets, for which no specific port forwarding rule has been configured, will be dropped. Which means: Hackers from outside your network will never reach the PC and it's firewall in the first place, unless you specifically told your router to forward incoming requests to your PC.

So the only thing the Firewall in your PC is protecting from is from users from inside your own network. So you won't need a complicated and costly firewall to protect your PC, unless your little brother or your mom have a secret identity and are really malicious hackers themselves.

By using the Windows built in Firewall, the Internet Connection Sharing should automatically open the appropriate ports for you.

And also remember: If you use Internet Connection Sharing instead of bridging, you should also check the link in my signature about double NAT. Because not only do you need to configure your PC, but also the WLAN router to forward the Xbox Live ports to the PC, and then configure the PC to forward these to the Xbox.

How To: Open NAT to resolve Party and Multiplayer problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.