Cannot connect to Xbox live

I haven't been able to connect to xbox for quite some time. It just quit one day. Now I cannot connect using the wireless or wired. If I attempt to use the wireless it still detects an ethernet cable even though there isn't one plugged in. It then connects to the wireless network briefly when I first plug in an ethernet cable so I cannot attempt to use the wireless.

I have tried all the suggestions listed on the support page to try and connect

I have a D-Link DIR-815 and UPnP is enabled

Whenever the xbox starts up it asks to update, when yes is selected the following error occurs: Update Failed Status Code 396B-0000-0080-0200-8015-190B

If i try and use a manual IP I get the following status:

W; 0000-000D

X:8001-1025

Y:0000-0000

Z:0000-0000

ID:FFFF-FFFF

L:8015-1901

Q:0015-10F1

T: Wired

A: 192.168.0.123 / 255.255.255.0

G:192.168.0.1

With an automatic IP all values are the same except for the following

X: 4000-1021
A:169.254.68.175 / 255.255.0.0
D:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi there Pbody!  Sorry to hear about that update error. Could you try to install the update again, and could you have a look at the Xbox LIVE connection problems article and follow the prompts there?  Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings, HelloImPbody! Do you have the option to sign in with another gamertag? If so, does the problem reproduce and are you able to download the update? I would also try clearing your system cache (support.xbox.com/.../clear-system-cache) and testing your network connection again. Keep us posted!

Sorry this didn't help.

I cleared the system cache and attempted to connect with another account but I got the same results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Pbody! The diagnostic codes you mention indicate that the connection settings are not quite correct, either on the console or on the router. One thing I would recommend first off is getting the console updated manually, using a CD-R or a USB Flash Drive. To do so, check out Solution 5 from our sticky on update issues here: forums.xbox.com/.../153327.aspx 

Once we get the console updated, then we'll focus on the connection issues. Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I've since updated. It doesn't appear to have changed anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, HelloImPbody! Can you try connecting directly to your modem with an ethernet cable? From your X Y Z codes I can see that the connection is breaking down between the console and the router, so I'd be curious to see what happens when we cut it out of the equation. Keep us posted!

Sorry this didn't help.

When I connected it directly it wouldn't recognize the ethernet cable and it attempted to connect to the wireless network which was offline. I restarted it and it had the same problem. It also said it was unable to detect a wireless network next to the wireless network it was trying to use. Which was a bit contradictory.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update, HelloImPbody. If you use an alternate ethernet cable does the problem persist? Can you try resetting your console's network settings by doing the following:

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.

2. Select Network Settings.

3. Select your wireless network name, if you are prompted to do so.

4. Select Configure Network.

5. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When you are prompted, select Yes, restore factory defaults.

Give it a shot and let me know if it makes a difference!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried several Ethernet cables and reset the factory defaults twice. There did not appear to be a difference.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Pbody! After resetting the settings to default, does it still try to connect to a wireless network when you use the ethernet-to-modem connection? Do you have an older console with an external wireless adapter? If so, can you unplug this from the console completely and try again.

Just to clarify, when you try to connect to a wired network, it doesn't recognize the connection and tries to connect to a wireless network. In your original post, you say that if you tried a wireless connection, it recognizes an ethernet cable that isn't there and tried to connect to a wired connection, is that correct? It sounds to me like there may be an issue with the console's network hardware. This would require a console repair, which can be set up here online (support.xbox.com/.../repair-process).

Try the above suggestion and we'll see if that helps. If not, we can determine the next course of action from there. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.