cannot connect to xbox live through ether jack but can wirelessly

Ok so I cannot connect to xbox live through the cable but can through wireless. I was able to connect through a cable but my switch went out and got the same model to replace it but xbox won't connect to xbox live. when I do the test says it connects to network but not to internet. I also have my computer through said switch and it has no problems. Right now I am running it through wireless but would rather have it connected directly since wireless router is in another room and signal strength isnt' that great.

I have went through numerous tests when connected through port and comes up with dns errors and such. but since it can connect through wireless then don't see how it could be a dns error plus I had it connected before and only thing that changed was switch.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Try these steps:

1. Go to setting> system setting> Network setting> either wired or wireless> configure network > additional setting > restore to factory defaults > then disconnect from the internet if it is wired just unplug the cable

2. Go back to system setting > storage> storage device highlight the hard drive and press Y on the controller to clear out the system cache 3 times and then turn off the Xbox and wait for it to complete shut down and then unplug it from the wall and wait 30 sec before connecting it back.

3. Go to your modem and turn it off and unplug it from the wall and wait 30 sec before connecting it back in. once you done that wait a min before turning on your Xbox so all the light can light up once us see yours on turn on the Xbox go to your setting and network and test your connection so see if that helped

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having a similar issue with my Xbox One: If I allow the console to sleep then then next time I awaken it (say, the next day) the Ethernet NIC seems to be unable to connect to the internet. This won't resolve itself until I power cycle the console. My workaround is to disable the sleep mode and completely shut down the console each time. Obviously this comes at the cost of the console never performing updates during off-hours.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, BriBrainBlender! This thread is pretty old, and is for the 360, not the One console. To get better visibility for your solution, you should check out the Xbox One forums for networking issues. There may be someone there more recent having this issue and you can post it up there!

Sorry this didn't help.