Cannot connect to wireless network

I've been connect to Live via wireless router (D-Link) since April and I have not moved the location of the router or my Xbox since.  I also have not acquired any new tech that could be interfering with the frequencies.  Now then, I installed the a system update around 11:30ish pm EST (therefore I was connected since I was able to do that) and after the system reboot it froze on the logo screen.  I waited for a while then powered down and after powering up I was no longer connected.  I have suffered from several failed connection tests.  I have followed all of the solution steps provided by the Xbox Support pages as well as called the support number.

It seems that my 360 isn't connecting with the router.  Any tips or ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 108 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have this same problem with my xbox s it will connect with the modem wirelessly but will with a cable. This only happened since the update on xbox too. Using netgear n300 so you are not alone

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I meant will not connect wirelessly but will with a wire sorry

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please read:- forums.xbox.com/.../9.aspx

And post back your details in full (the bits that are in bold on that post) so that people may help

If you are wireless can you also state whether you are using the white or black external adapter or the Xbox 360S Internal adapter

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

USA - Ohio

Modem brand & model number: Webstar DPX100 series

Router brand & model number: D-Link DIR625

Wireless

If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WPA

Things you have tried: Creating manual IP address, unplugging modem, router, and Xbox off, checked MAC filtering which is off, WPA key is correct

Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown

Is NAT Type Open? Unknown

Any Error Codes you encounter:

What type of internet do you have? Cable

Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? WOW (Wide Open West)

When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? Cannot connect to wireless network

I have an Xbox 360 S 4gb with built in WiFi internal adapter

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, I have no clue what happened considering nothing has physically changed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Please work your way through these tips, one of them should resolve it, if not please post back:- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been finding that people with problems after the update need to make adjustments to the network, almost like refreshing the router/gateway.

Try things like a long power cycle (Around 3-5 minutes), changing settings like wireless mode, wireless channel, and security type, possibly setting the console in the DMZ or Port Forwarding. I've even seen someone successfully use Manual settings for the IP Settings on the Xbox and that solved the problem.

Lastly, I've seen a lot of success with factory resetting the router and rebuilding the network. It's a pain, but it works most of the time (And it's good for your network anyways).

Sorry this didn't help.

This same problem happened to both 4GB slim models in my house.  After much mucking around we discovered that the router was set to TKIP encryption, which the 360 is not supposed to support anyway, but only failed to recognize it after the update was downloaded (not installed, just downloaded).  Going into our router settings and changing it from TKIP to AES did the trick.

Edit: To check if your network uses TKIP encryption, check the properties on your wireless connection settings on your PC or log into your router control panel (see your router documentation as to how to do this or talk to whoever in your house deals with your network)

Sorry this didn't help.

After the patch the Router needs to be set to WPA2-AES.  

To change router cypher use 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, or 192.168.2.1 to access your router, then log in with admin, change to WPA2-AES cypher if available.

If your router does not support this, then you are S.O.L.

I  had same issue until today when i read one of shadowmanuk's posts and it fixed it as soon as i did it. Good Luck -

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't need to be on WPA2. I'm on WEP at home. This is misinformation. What needs to happen is a change on the network to reconnect the console. It appears the recent update did something to impact the way the device connects and it's almost like routers aren't quite recognizing it so you have to restart the connection.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh really?  So restart the connect by turning off the router for a couple of mins or what?  I have yet to set my router to the AES setting, as I haven't had enough time.  Although since I have other tech that currently connect to my network via TKIP would I be able to use the Auto setting which will detect for both TKIP and AES?

Sorry this didn't help.