Cannot connect to network/internet!!

Hi guys,

I've just purchased the Microsoft Wireless N Adapter, but I cannot connect to the network/internet.

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  Canada/Ontario 
Modem brand & model number:  Speedtouch
Router brand & model number:   Linksys E1000
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired     Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?   WPA2
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?   Black external
Things you have tried:  Resetting to factory settigns, Setting manual IP address, chaning MAC filter
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown    Unknown
Is NAT Type Open?     Unknown
Any Error Codes you encounter:     No 
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? DSL
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?  TekkSavvy
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?   it depends, but two most common ones are either asking me to put in the proper WPA password, or restart the modem and router, wait 30 sec and try again.

I have tried playing around with IP addresses, MAC codes, DHCP, resetting back to original settings...but I am not a computer geek. 

Now here are some details:

When I try to connect to my main network, xbox cannot even connect to the network itself (the network is secured/password protected)

HOWEVER, there is another "branch" of my network, which is called "Guest" and when I try to connect to it, it connects to the network but does not connect to the internet. (this network is unsecured).

Now I live in the attic and the router is pretty far away from me, downstairs. But my computer is getting the interned wirelessly and it always connects. Granted, the signal isnt great, but at least it connects and i can use internet no problem.

So what can I do guys? This has been bugging me the whole day! Hopefully there is some sort of solution so I can play some Mortal Kombat with other people!! :)

Thanks guys,

George 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Hey mate, do you have the password to try connecting to that 'main' connection?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that there is a password and I type it in...but it does not connect

Sorry this didn't help.

And today I brought my Xbox to the living room, closer to the router, to see whether it was poor signal that was causing the problem. The signal bar showed full strength...but the same story repeated, it did not connect to the secured network, connected to the unsecured but did not connect to the internet

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, are you sure you are using the right password, do you also have a wireless mac filter enabled? I assume the unsecured network is a totally different router/network? Also what version of firmware is the E1000 using?

When you do get this working you will also have NAT issues no doubt as the speedtouch is a router as well

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Yes I am positive that I am using the right password because I used the same password to connect my computer to the network. Now regarding MAC filtering - I do not have administrator rights over the account so I cannot access the main page of the router and tinker with MAC, so that I have not done. Do you think that could be the issue if everything else does not seem to work?

About E1000 firmware....i have no idea, really. Since we bought it and took it out of the box it hasnt been updated.

And the unsecured network uses the same router and is the same network (same network name) just...unsecured and has "guest" in its name.

And what are the NAT issues?

Thanks for your help guys,

George

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You are going to have to have admin rights to the E1000 to have any chance of fixing this

Sorry this didn't help.