Cannot add child to XBOX One - says already belongs to a family- but WHAT family??

My mom is trying to add me to XBOX One family and message says that I already belong to a family.  This is necessary to change my permissions. Prepaid for Battlefield 4 Premium and cannot download due to content restrictions which must be revised with parent account.  Same problem with COD prepaid season pass.  Need to remove me from the other family first, but we do not know which other family I belong to and who created that family.  And, of course, need password and login to do this.  Ok, I know I am popular, but, didn't know I was adopted by another family.  Also, an old gamertag created years ago and deleted years ago mysteriously shows up on XBOX One when I log in.  This gamertag is added to the family.  Seems old, inactive history came over into XBOX One  which may be causing confusion.  Spent over an hour on the phone with Microsoft support and they had to escalate my case.  Going on 48 hours and no response. Never had this problem with 360 and my friends are all enjoying their PS4s.  Where was the QA on this product?  Other threads have problems with creating family account and adding children. Software is trying to  verify the adult and keep charging credit card 50 cents in an endless loop. I guess Microsoft thinks it can catch Sony's sales with this tactic.  If you know how to discern what family I am attached to and how to remove me, PLEASE respond.   

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2018 Views 224 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Problem happening to me too and others on the forums, it's really pissing me off.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Me too!  Please post if you find a solution and I will post solution if and when Microsoft responds to my escalated case.  Someone in QA needs to be fired.  This is a joke of a product and can't believe I paid $500.

Sorry this didn't help.

Having exactly the same problem. Knew I should've gotten a ps4.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is really annoying me now. I should be able to buy stuff online if I've put the money in my account!

I've tried contacting support but I never get through. If anybody does figure out how to fix this please be sure to post here. If I don't get a solution soon then I'm selling my xbox one and getting a playstation 4.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a *** take. All I want to do is buy an add on for Assassin's Creed, with the money I've already put on my account! I want to spend my own money, it's not too much to ask is it!

The whole family idea is a joke. Guess what Microsoft, my dad is middle aged and he doesn't play xbox! He doesn't want his account! I'm the only one in my family who's going to be using it. So making him create an actual account (rather than just typing his email in like on 360) to change my settings is stupid and saying I'm already in a family is even stupider because NOBODY ELSE EVEN USES IT.

And yeah the email my dad used for the xbox one account is definitely the parent email he put in when I first signed up, I checked by trying to change the settings on 360 (which works fine so I'm not sure why it was such a big deal on xbox one).

Sorry this didn't help.

stupid microsoft

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been talking to support and they've helped me fix it! :)

Make sure you've been playing online, so you don't lose any saves. Then go to system settings, reset console to factory settings. When you're setting it up again, put your parents email in first. Then once the xbox is set up, go to add to family, THEN put in your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually scratch that. Just did all that like support said, STILL thinks I'm in a family.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same exact problem.  I am the parent and I never play XBOX, so totally ridiculous that I have to set up an account and get a gamertag.  My son should have lied when he first set up the account like everyone else.  This secuirity is ridiculous since you can lie and no one can tell.  Just worthless. Meanwhile, my son has years of achievements and $106 in his account which I purchased for him and he cannot spend . Microsoft essentially said to start new profile with a birthdate of 18, but they can't merge the only gamertag.  He wont do this.  He will just get a PS4 and go play with the rest of his friends who were smart enought to go with Sony.  Spent hours on the phone and have had two escalated cases and still thinks my son belongs to another family.  I asked support what happens to children whose parents are divorced and they spend equal time at both parent's homes and they have two separate XBOX consoles.  Hum they said.  They could carry the XBOX from house to house.  Great system.  The child can only belong to one family and only mom OR dad can set the parental controls.  They can play as a "guest" at the other house but won't have the security mom sets up.  Really?  All of the security should be controlled by the account in the cloud and not the console. A parent could set the controls online for each child.  Each console could have a pass key like wireless security in your home.  If you give someone your passkey then they get into the console and play with the security set up online.  This way you can play as yourself at mom's, dad's and a friend's house.  That is if they don't already belong to another family!!  Please if you figure out how to divorce yourself from the phantom family, please write.  Let me know if you get the code 0x80bd007.  This might be the key if Microsoft could figure out what the error code meant! It's been a week and this launch is a joke. Where was the QA?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cant add anyone to family here.....  getting pissed!!!

Sorry this didn't help.