Can't update system get error code 3F45-0000-0080-0300-8007-000F

My daughter recently purchased the console part of a parted out Halo 4 Limited Edition console on eBay. It did not come with anything but the console and that includes no 360gb hard drive. The power supply we ordered came today and she turned it on, got setup with our network, and when she tries to update she gets the error code in the subject line. I looked up the error code and it has to do with not having a hard drive. I was under the impression that the internal 4gb flash memory was sufficient enough as these units are sold that way without the removable hard drive. Is there something we are missing? Does the limited edition units only function with a removable hard drive? She is getting the dashboard and she can play locally. She cannot download the update nor can she setup a profile. The unit is brand new. I registered it for her online at Xbox and the warranty is good through Feb of 2014, a year from the date that I registered it so the previous owner never registered it. I even tried to let her use my 16gb Corsair flash drive and it wouldn't recognize it. What am I not doing correctly? Please help. I want to figure this out before she spends the money on a removable hard drive.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

I did just read that the USB has to be formatted as FAT32. Mine is formatted as NTFS. I will have to change that and see what happens. However, that doesn't answer my full question.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try clearing your system cache on the unit's internal memory. You can do this by going to Settings > Memory. Highlight the Internal Memory, press Y, and select Clear System Cache. This issue -- according to Microsoft -- is related to either a disconnect between the Xbox and the internet, or a problem with the System Cache. I am banking on the latter, assuming your connection is clearly not the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried going to settings >memory. There is no memory according to my daughter. How can that be? I reformatted my USB drive to FAT32 and loaded the console update. We will see if that works. If not something is very wrong here. At least there is still a warranty. We might have to send it back but that means getting a refurb. They NEVER send back YOUR unit.

Sorry this didn't help.

My USB worked but I still don't understand what happened to the 4GB internal Flash memory. I tried looking for it but it is not there. It has to be in order to hold the system data. Why else would the console turn on and show the dashboard? Could someone please try to figure out what could be happening? I told my daughter that we should send it in.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's quite possible that someone had either purchased a console with a hard drive (that package does not have the 4 gb internal memory) and then just sold the console, or they had opened the console and removed the 4 gb flash memory.  Unfortunately purchasing items from places such as Ebay or other online reseller sites can be problematic.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, onyx. That explains it. This was part of the Halo 4 special edition. The seller kept the hard drive, cables, game, controllers, etc. The only thing he was selling as the actual console. So it still seems ridiculous that MS does not have standard the 4GB flash memory in every unit and then you can upgrade with the removable one.

Sorry this didn't help.