Can't turn off Xbox One

I am experiencing a issue tht the Xboxe One will not turn off.

Right after turning it off by the controller or power button, it just turns on again. The only way to power it off is by holding the power button for 10 seconds, but I would like to use the Instant-On setting due to updates and downloads.

Note that I do not have Kinnect connected on it.

- I have already changed between " Instant-On" and "Energy-Saving" modes, no succes.

- I have already Power Cycled the console, no success.

- I have changed the Power Supply and used different power outlets, no success.

- I have Reseted it to Factory Defaults, no success.

Does anyone have a clue of what is going on?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

Hi Freddi! Your problem seems to spread from your xbox wanting to wake up when in instant-on mode. There are multi possibilities why this is happening, some from kinect and some from your controller. And I have a few suggestions and would like to know what happens when you try them.

1st: Inside of Power Options(where you can change from "instant-on" to "power saving") it has options for kinect. I ask that you make sure the option to "Wake up by saying 'Xbox On'" is turned off. And see if that helps. If this works it might mean your kinect is having issues.

2nd: If that first theory doesn't seem to help. I ask that you try disconnecting your controller from your xbox right after you turn it off using your controller. You can do this by removing your battery slide cover and removing a battery. If this works it might mean your controller is having issues.

3rd: If possible you could also try updating the firmware on your controller and this also might help the problem.

4th: I would also suggest trying to turn off your xbox(in instant-on mode) with another controller.

Please respond so I can see if either of these helped!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I do not have a Kinnect, did a try in almost all and none worked, I do not own another controller to try option 4.

Sorry this didn't help.

You wouldn't happen to be on the NXEO or Xbox Preview Member Dashboard would you?

Sorry this didn't help.

No for both.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you using a play and charge kit Freddi8762?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Freddi8762, 

Sorry you're having issues with your Xbox turning on by itself. If the power solutions listed above didn't work then it could be controller related. Pull the batteries out of the controller, and make sure the controller is not plugged in anywhere. Power the console off and see if it comes back on. If it does not, then your controller may need service or replacement. 

Second, if the controller doesn't work then try unplugging and plugging the console back in. If it doesn't work then try a hard reset. With the console on, hold the power button down for 5 seconds. Your console will quickly turn off. After that power it on, then off again to see if it starts working normally. 

Third. Disable Smart Glass connections. Be it a small chance, someone could be having some fun with your nerves and the smart glass app. 

Fourth. If all of the above doesn't work then I would suggest doing a factory reset

Xbox Service Center if controller is broken

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

None of the above options worked, I've contacted MS support and they suggested to use the Offline Update Tool, which did not work either.

Tomorrow I will open a service ticket to replace de console.

Sorry this didn't help.