Can't fully connect on one specific gamertag

My girlfriend is having some problems with her gamertag connecting to live. Whenever she signs in, it takes about 1 minute to actually log her in, where she will told there is an update for XBL. After accepting it, we will wait for several minutes without the download bar moving at all, until it times out and gives us an error message.

The reason I know this is specific to her gamertag only is because my gamertag works 100% fine on her Xbox. Also, when she tries her gamertag on MY xbox, she has the same old problems, so it's not the console itself.  If we try moving her gamertag to a different memory Unit, it will also take about 2 minutes to move a tag that is only like 1-2 MB, where as my 16MB tag takes just 3 seconds or so.

Any ideas on what can be causing this? It's definitely not the internet connection or console itself.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

So the console only tries to update when she signs in to the console? That's very odd... However, I still suggest trying to manually update the console to make sure everything is up to date. You can get files and instructions here: support.xbox.com/.../system-updates

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I was able to do the update on my gamerrtag on her console, but after we tried putting her's back in, it still requested an update. We tried it, and this time it managed to actually work. The problem is it took close to 25 minutes on her account, when it took about 30 seconds on mine. It seems that the lag isn't a connection issue, but it's affecting EVERYTHING, as long as it's on her gamertag (Again, her gamertag on a different console gives the same result, but other gamertags on either console are 100% fine)

A few examples of lag are:

- It takes 2-3 minutes just to load the dashboard after turning on the console.

- Selecting anything from the dashboard (such as Netflix) gives us 4-5minutes of a black screen before it actually loads the app.

- If you go to the guide and select FRIENDS (or any other option) it will be loading for another 4-5 minutes to load the list (only 2 gamertags are even on the friends list), and then yet another 4-5 minutes to load the profile of the friend she selects.

- Moving a piece of memory (even extremely small files) takes minutes to complete.

Basically everything we do causes minutes and minutes of loading/lag, when it should normally take 1 second. Updates that take 30 seconds are now taking 20-30 minutes. Any ideas on what to do? Her gamertag isn't THAT old, so we're thinking of just starting a new one, but we hope it doesn't come to that.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.