Can't connect to Xbox Live/Some Xbox content unavailable

  I have a Gears of War 3, Limited Edition, 320 GB Xbox 360.  It has been working fine, for the most part, since I received it about a year and a half ago until about a month ago.  It started when Microsoft started to ask for more proofs of my identity for my own protection.   Well I forgot my password to my Xbox account so I had to change it on my computer and get a verification code on my cell phone.  I entered all this on my Xbox and it still needed more proofs, so I went to Microsoft and entered all the info they asked for.   After irritating hoop jumping, all which happened on Feb.15, 2013  I figured I was good to go.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The Xbox Live account worked fine for about 3 days then minor irritation turned to smoldering frustration.  What follows is what I have been going through for a week and a half:

  I turn on my Xbox with the wireless controller.  2% of the time I am signed in and playing till my hearts content.  The other 98% of the time this is what I have to do, step by step just to sign in.   

  I TRY to sign into my profile and I get this message: "Cannot connect to Xbox Live.  Select Test Connection to troubleshoot, or try to download your profile again.  I hit OK to download my profile again, and I get this message: "A problem occured  while signing in.  Please try again.  If problem persists , visit www.xbox.com/support."  After unplugging the modem, router and Xbox for 5 minutes, I retried to sign in the same way (selecting OK instead of Test) and still didn't get connected.

  Every day since, I try to sign in, but instead of hitting "OK" , I hit "Test Connection".  After hitting "Yes" to sign out, the test begins.  About 20 to 30 seconds later all connections (360, Network, Internet) have been made and everything on the right of the screen shows "Up".  I immediately hit the Xbox button on the controller to sign in.  After about 30 to 45 seconds I get signed in.  After signing in I hit the Xbox button on the controller to display the menu, and go to Xbox Home.  After a Looong time of loading I will get a message , about 90 % of the time, "Some Xbox Live content may be temporally unavailable."  When this happens, My dashboard has in the middle of it, in black with gold letters "Join Xbox Live", even though I can push my Xbutton and call up my friends list.   Also my friends are not listed on my social tab (just "Join Xbox Live").  The other 10% of the time I will get a dashboard but it takes forever to load up.  

  All that has been down loaded to my Xbox is Explorer , Netflix, and map packs for Gears and Waypoint for Halo 4, so I should have plenty of hard drive space.

  My irritation begins at game play.  When I AM online I'm worried about multiplayer game play.  I hate lagging and don't want other players to suffer my dilemma.  My real frustration is Netflix.  I pay money to get this service (as well as Xbox Live) and I can't receive it because 90% of the time I can't even get online.

  I am sorry for the long winded process that I go through (I know too late), but I want to make sure that you know EXACTLY what I have to go through just to sign on SOMETIMES, and I wanted you to know everything so you can make an educated guess, or even better, an exact solution to the problem that I have.  

  Thanks for taking the time to read this and serious worship to who can solve it!!!!!

 

Question Info


Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

A sequential power cycle is the first step in clearing connection problems, and the order and timing of the steps is important to success:

 

1) turn off the Xbox and unplug the power supply cord from the back of the Xbox then

2) unplug power from the router (Some folks have a combination modem-router AKA 'gateway' or only use a modem with no router. If either, skip steps 3 & 6).

3) unplug power from the modem.

4) Wait at least 5 minutes then replug the modem/gateway power.

5) Wait 'til the light on the front of the modem/gateway which says BROADBAND, ONLINE, READY, CABLE or DSL is on solid (not flashing), then plug in the

router. If you have a gateway instead of a modem and router or a modem with no router, then when that light says it's ready, skip to step 7.

6) Wait until the WiFi light on the router is on; you may not use WiFi, but it's still a good indicator your router is finished booting up.

7) Plug in and turn on the Xbox.  For more background on Ports, see whatismyipaddress.com/port

 

If the problem persists, please send us the info we need from forums.xbox.com/.../155724.aspx so we may work on this further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.