Can't connect to XBox Live and ready to pull my hair out

I'm trying to connect to Xbox Live and have reached the end of my rope trying to figure out what to try next.  I am using a wired connection and have the XBox hooked right up to the router (RCA Thomson).  I keep getting an error message that the MTU isn't high enough but when I check it shows that it's set to 1500.  I've tried unplugging and plugging everything back in, restarting, etc., with no luck.  Once it started connecting to XBox Live, got halfway there, then there was an error (not the MTU one) and it stopped, I have not been able to get that far again.  Would it make any difference if I got the wifi adapter or would I run into the same problem?  I really don't want to spend the money as I only want the connection to finish a specific game but I am starting to get frustrated.  I have Time Warner Cable broadband (if that makes a difference) and the XBox is the only ethernet cable plugged in (everything else is wireless).  Anyone have any idea what else I can try or is it a loss cause?  Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Greetings MagmaticFan!

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is often related to the gateway. Therefore, a wireless connection type with your console will not help to resolve a MTU error.

[quote user="MagmaticFan7660"]have the XBox hooked right up to the router (RCA Thomson)[/quote]Is this device a modem with built-in router (combo)?

[quote user="MagmaticFan7660"]Once it started connecting to XBox Live, got halfway there, then there was an error (not the MTU one) and it stopped, I have not been able to get that far again.[/quote]Are you getting a new error code or do still get MTU error when you try connect to LIVE? 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try putting the xbox in DMZ so it bypasses the router's settings,  ( which means you would also have to give the router a static ip.   also make sure your router has the latest firmware.

Check the xbox's settings for the wired configuration and see if both your router and the xbox is set to Upnp: On.

I'm assuming that by you saying that you need the wifi adapter that you have the xbox regular 360 and not the slim model ( which has the N adapter inside of it ).

Sorry this didn't help.

Honestly, I think it's just a router and I mis-typed.  I am still getting the MTU error, I did make sure UPnP was on but I actually didn't check it on the XBox, just the router.  I have the regular old 360, not the new one with wireless built-in.  I think I might have already tried putting it in DMZ but I've tried so many things I can't remember 100% if I did.  Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the model number of your RCA Thomson wireless gateway?

Could you try connect with a different Ethernet cable to determine if the one you use is faulty.

Try reset your RCA Thomson to factory defaults. Unplug all Ethernet cables. Press and hold reset button for 10 seconds. Wait one minute for it to connect properly. Turn on your console and restore Xbox network settings to factory defaults. Press "B" on your controller and run a connection test to Xbox LIVE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Remember though that DMZ does require you put the router in static mode so the xbox is always on the same 101.168.x.x ....     Instead of DMZ try opening ports for the xbox with these settings:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

Is this router new or old?  You also want to make sure that its certified to work with Microsoft products,  it should have an emblem on the box displaying a "Works with Windows Vista" logo, a "Certified for Windows Vista" logo, or a "Compatible with Windows 7" logo have been tested for compatibility with Xbox LIVE.

Here is a vital question:

Who is your ISP?    Some ISP's may not support the minimum MTU size required by Xbox LIVE,  aka,  if you want to connect, you'll have to do a direct line from modem to xbox thereby bypassing the router using an A/B switch box...

In the end it's either the Router,  ISP,  your connection...

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks everyone for your help.  Nothing worked and it turned out my router was older then I thought (7 years).  My ISP gave me a new one today and I connected without a problem :).

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear you got it working Fan. Game on!

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to have you back up and running!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sweet!! I just replaced my router(Netgear wndr3400v2) that was having hard wire problems, plus known issues of random disconnects.  I'm guessing it was a hardware defect because it was disconnecting all of my devices and causing havoc on my network.  Upgraded to a better one, and am hoping this fixes my problem too! Glad to hear you're back up and running. :)

Sorry this didn't help.