Can't connect to router (wireless)

What Country/State/Province do you live in? UK, Peterborough

Router brand & model number:D-Link router

Network Connection Type: Wired to PC, wireless to Xbox

If Wireless,what type of encryption are you using?Not sure what this means. The security key is WPA though.

If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?

http:/www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VD56L6/ref=oss_product (

">Black wireless

Things you have tried:Reset network settings, selected network again and inserted key but still nothing, the error occurs between the Xbox and the My Network symbols, tried the DHCP stuff, tried using a manual IP address to no avail, MAC filtering is off at the router but added the wired code from the xbox just in case and thats it.

Is UPnP Enabled? No

Is NAT Type Open? No idea

What type of internet do you have? DSL

Who is your ISP? Talk Talk

After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen? Not sure

My friend wants to go Live and he bought a wireless network adapter but can't get connected to his PC. I went round there this morning to try and sort it out but had no luck after two hours. The network adapter recognises his router is there but isn't letting him connect through it. Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

As far as using the PC to connect, you'll need to set up a bridge here. What I would recommend is just focusing on connecting to the router. Can you, for testing purposes, connect the console directly to the modem or router with an ethernet cable to see if it will work?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The router connects directly to his telephone socket and has several ethernet ports of which the PC connects to one. I don't believe he needs to set up a bridge as I have exactly the same setup with the same brand of router but wired.

I could test it wired but it can't be a permanent solution (or even temporary) as the router is in the living room and the xbox in his room upstairs.

I don't understand why it acting like it is. The adapter can locate his router but its like it is blocking us.

Forgot to mention that when on connection settings the I.P. is found automatically but shows no actual address nor gateway or subnet mask just a bunch of zeros. DNS is the same.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can a PC connect wirelessly to this router or is it just the 360?

It sounds to me like DHCP may not be enabled on his router.  Which would explain the lack of an ip address, Default Gateway etc.

Sorry this didn't help.