Can't connect to other players - *Has open NAT though*

Ok, I could once play and talk with some of my friends and now I can't. My Xbox Dashboard connection thingy says I have no networking issues, and in Halo: Reach it says NAT is open and packet loss is minimal, and the top one (can't remember) is red but I think that is because I'm in Australia. I have the same problem even if I don't use my router as well, and can only play with players who I can't connect with myself if they are playing with someone else I can connect to.

Basically I need to use other players as "bridges" to get to some of my friends, even though my NAT is open.

I know their NAT isn't open, but they should still be able to connect with me as they can connect to others with open NAT easily.

This problem has only picked up in the last two weeks, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Should I call my ISP (Optus) about it? What else could I do?

My Gear:

Wired Motorola Surfboard Modem

Belkin n150 "Connect" router (UPnP enabled, DMZ disabled, No port-forwarding. This router can't accept both dynamic and static IPs at the same time.)

XBox 360 Arcade (Early 2007) with 60GB Hard Drive

Optus Fusion Plan 500GB/month

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I don't know how it is in AU, but I had NAT issues and when I called my cable company they fixed it(for what it's worth, anyways).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you updated the firmware on your router yet? Seems to be most NAT issues arrise from routers who's firmware isn't up to par. Second, depending on your ISP you may have double or even triple NAT. Would love to know the model numbers of the modem and router to be able to find out for sure.

If you take the router out of the equation and still have the same issues then your next two bets will be maybe you have a gateway instead of a modem which has a NAT firewall. Then the last option is depending on your ISP, they may NAT on their end before even sedning the signal to your house. ISP NAT is invisable to the consoles testing but still affects your connection.

Last basic issue, is that Party chat also is affected by your bandwidth. Check on SpeedTest.net  If your bandwidth thats coming in is low (Could be a bad routing server, updates being done by ISP, damage to the lines or hop servers or even network throttling because you used to much internetz)

Other trick to remember is that it takes atleast 2 people to join party. If you have issues joining a friend but can "Bridge" through other friends then most likely that means the "bridgeing" friend has a true open NAT and you and the other person(s) have NAT even if the console doesn't display.

Some symptoms of invisable NAT including chat sounding like its underwater or a bad cell phone reception, matchmaking will take much longer then its supposed to with games like Halo, Call of Duty and anything else running player hosted games vs dedicated servers hosting games. Then of course the big symptom is can't join friends in party.

Do yourself a favor, if there is only one Xbox console in the house then apply a static IP in the router using DHCP reservation for the console by using the consoles MAC address. Then set-up a DMZ for that static IP address (somtimes doesn't work and port forwarding is next best answer). If your getting a private IP from your "modem" such as 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* most likely your have a gateway that needs a DMZ sent to the routers IP address.

After a DMZ chain is set-up on one network, then have the friend that you can't join with also start up a DMZ (Or portforward) chain.

And also to note. Each router added to the network chain has  a NAT firwall, so your wired router is breaking the connection (NAT wise) that your wireless router would be getting. ""I use my wired router, and it works fine now. My set up now:Modem -> wired router -> Wireless router -> Wireless netbook""

Sorry this didn't help.

Do these other players have strict NAT, or moderate? While Open NAT should be able to connect with everyone, sometimes the connection isn't made as easily with a user with Strict NAT.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use my wired router, and it works fine now. My set up now:

Modem -> wired router -> Wireless router -> Wireless netbook

\/

Desktop and Xbox

I have had NAT issues with the wired router before, but it is all coming good now.

I noticed how ever on the wireless router web page (192.168.2.1), that there is a setting for telsa bigpond/optusnet cable:

[View:http://i54.tinypic.com/9zxa94.jpg]

I haven't tried using it though.

Sorry this didn't help.