Can't connect online could a lightning strike caused this??

First off this is my first post and apologize if it is the wrong forum but here is the deal..

We had a bad storm Wednesday my roommate said it lightened and struck something in the back yard knocking the power out "I was at work when this happened".. Finally got power back on earlier today but it knocked our satellite out and had to get a new router because it fried it also..

Now all of our computers work but my 360 turns on but will not let me connect or sign in to my profile, I called support and was on the phone with them almost a hour trying to help me "they were very nice" and was told it was either the router which is brand new or it hit my console.. Nobody was playing the game so it was off but still plugged up.. All the computers work but keep getting the can't connect to x-box gold check connections, I unhooked my 360 and plugged a new wire into it and still says the same thing.. I plan on getting a xbox one in 2016 just can't afford it right now..

I plan on going to gamestop and buying a used one but has anyone ever had this problem?? I have had it since 2008 and never had any problems not even the RROD I just hate to buy a used one and it says the same thing, just bought Destiny and  3 month gold and this happens!! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I can play games offline I just can't sign in under  my profile and  play online.. Mods if this is the wrong forum my bad this is my first time posting, thanks!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 182 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello, what you can do is clear your system cache as this can help solve the issue. If that doesn't help you can also reset your network configuration to default via configure network then additional settings. Also you have posted this to the correct forum anyway.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

JaYc2009, to find root of the problem, we need to gather some information about Your setup.

1) How is Xbox 360 connected to router?

1.1) If by Wi-Fi, did You tried wired connecting and vise versa?

2) Please use this article, to test network connection to Xbox Live: support.xbox.com/.../connectivity-solutions

2.1) What information You got from testing of network connection?

3) And last, when network connection test would be ended, push Y button on Your controller and copy information about IP address, network mask and other network related parameters to Your answer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Every time I would go to available networks there is no check mark on "wired network" which is what I use. It won't let me sign and I get this message "Can't connect to Xbox live. Select Test Connection to troubleshoot your connection. For more info, go to www.xbox.com/support"

I then go to Wired Network Show Suggestions and says "To use a wired Internet connection, make sure an Ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem" I push ok and sends me back out to Available Networks

I can't even get to test it says I must be signed into Xbox live, microsoft told me to clear my cache 3 times and I did and even removed my profile and on startup when I click a new profile I just made up it says "can't connect to xbox live and I exit the session and test your network connection and push ok and goes right back to  available networks I click on wired network and says the same thing above"

I even unhooked my xbox and ran the cord straight from the Ethernet and nothiing.. The cord is new but I tried another cord and get the exact same results.. I tried this video I found on youtube but it won't let me login so I cant even get this far, mine doesn't even show a blue checkmark like it used to.

Bottom line is I can't even sign in to see my connections, thanks for all the help I am still trying..

www.youtube.com/watch

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if this is helpful but the netgear ethernet light is not on.. Also the router is made by cisco  and the other by netgear, I don't have wifi I have a older model 360 and just got the netgear today. Never had this problem in the past

Sorry this didn't help.

One more thing I just thought of our Direct TV has been out since the storm could that have anything to do with it??

Sorry this didn't help.

JaYc2009, so we find root of the problem, nice catch.

In case if Xbox 360 can't see, that Ethernet cable is connected and on Netgear, lights is down, then this mean that Ethernet port is malfunction.

Sorry this didn't help.

I stopped by and got a friends 360 took it home and plugged it in and it worked, let me sign in and get online.. Could lightning damaged something in my 360 I know this is a weird occurrence even called Netgear and they said the light is not supposed to be on and would not give me another one. So I guess I will buy a used one next weekend..

Thanks for all the help when I hooked his 360 up the light didn't come on either on the ethernet first time I have had any problems since I bought it in 07.. I found a black xbox slim just the console for $25 will my hookups fit it?? I haven't called the guy yet but going to ask him if it's works and I work for the Sheriffs Dept and will pull up in my patrol car, I hate to do that but so many people try and scam you.. craigslist is blocked at work so when I get home I will send you a link to the ad and you guys can tell if my hooks up will fit his.. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the old model and this guy wants $50 just for the console and was wondering if my power cord and my AV cords will hook up to this?? Also has anyone ever heard of their 360 getting hit by lightning and not be able to play online?? Thanks

bham.craigslist.org/.../5111508352.html

Sorry this didn't help.

JaYc2009, basically lightning strike can destroy all network devices, because Ethernet use electricity as low level transport, I mean electro signals. So when lightning it strike near the cable or device itself, magnetic field and static electricity can lead to disruption of the Ethernet port.

I've seen this before, many times, not with Xbox, but with other network devices, even in my home. ADSL modem was killed by lightning strike, that strike near the telephone cable.

So I can suggest You, to send Your Xbox to repair center, to do this, please use this article: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/warranty-and-service/getting-your-product-serviced-faq

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought a used 360 from a guy I know online and it arrived today. I put my hard drive on plugged everything up and connected my ethernet cable and I am back online!! I am guessing the lightning strike fried my ethernet ports so now I am going to unplug it every night since we have storms at the drop of the hat.. Thanks to everyone that helped I appreciate it and hope this holds up until I can get a Xbox one!!

Sorry this didn't help.