Can't Change Xbox Gamertag Once For Free?

Firstly I'd like to thank Krishna Prasobh V for directing me to the correct place to post this.
Original: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cant-change-xbox-gamertag-once-for-free/d84aa864-dfc7-4c66-bce4-08bb893404a1?msgId=9c84d91a-2acb-4c4a-a874-97d0fd7316ff

I'm having trouble with changing my gamertag; the problem started when I made a suggestion on the Minecraft Windows 10 BETA site and realised that it was using my "old" username, despite the only name I've ever associated Minecraft with is my new one, I asked support if they could change it and they directed me to the Xbox gametag page telling me it can be changed once for free, this was strengthened as it said the same thing on the page; after accidentally updating my security info thinking I was doing something else and having to wait a month, I was finally able to change my gamertag.

Now I tried changing it and it's asking me for my credit card details saying it'll be charged immediately with no refunds, but I've never changed my username before, this should be the first "free" time.

Any ideas?

(Changing it via PC as I don't have a console anymore)

I have similar issue and I was part of the Insider program 6 years ago and I’v got generated gamertag for Microsoft services and etc, I personalized my Xbox Avatar in Windows 8 and that’s it. And few years ago in 2018 I spotted that I can change my gamertag for free and when I tried it says that I have to pay 9.99$ for gamertag change. I think I will stick with my crappy gamertag for now because I don’t wanna pay for this issue plus support team says that I already personalized my gamertag and used free change but I don’t used anything and even if I used my gamertag would be different but It’s the same crappy tag that I’m using right now in 2018.

Flanua

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have similar issue and I was part of the Insider program 6 years ago and I’v got generated gamertag for Microsoft services and etc, I personalized my Xbox Avatar in Windows 8 and that’s it. And few years ago in 2018 I spotted that I can change my gamertag for free and when I tried it says that I have to pay 9.99$ for gamertag change. I think I will stick with my crappy gamertag for now because I don’t wanna pay for this issue plus support team says that I already personalized my gamertag and used free change but I don’t used anything and even if I used my gamertag would be different but It’s the same crappy tag that I’m using right now in 2018.

actually they are correct you just didn't read them msg in full

You are granted ONE FREE change if you weren't given an option 

Clearly you have a personalized name and don't apply to you

Your name isn personalized shinny it may have been suggested but it's still a personalized name or you were during g the brief period where you had 30days to change your name which caze it no longer applies

You were probably given options for names which isn't NOT a randomized name 

You guys should feel fortunate to even have the ability to change your name as no other console allows this

A randomized name is emotion plus a fluffy animal and a number so for example it would be happybunny1234

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 56 Applies to: