Can't accept new Terms of Use/ Need to upgrade to parent account

Hello, I am having some trouble with an old account of mine that I recently tried to sign in to after a long absence.

When I go to accept the new Terms of Use so that I can play online, It asks for my parent to enter a password. I never even knew that such a password ever existed and apparently,  neither did my parents o_0.  I have not used that account in years because I have 2 other accounts that were always my main accounts ever since I've had my xbox.

Unfortunately,  I no longer have access to the email that was used to create the account, so I guess I can't reset the password that no one even knew existed. Before this, I was always able to sign into that account and play on XBL just fine. I suppose this is just a one time deal for the new Terms of Use :( such irony.

Anyway, after doing a bit of research, I discovered that now that I have since turned 18, I should be able to "upgrade" my child account to a parent account. After digging a little deeper, I am a bit confused as how to do this. I cannot get into my "account management" because I am not signed in, but to sign in, I have to accept the Terms of Use....

Is there a way to change to an adult account without accepting the new Terms of Use? If so, would I then STILL have to enter the mysterious password that no one knows? If anybody is able to help me out I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Greetings, Ninja! Sorry to hear you're having some trouble accepting the Terms of Use! If I understand correctly your parents don't know the password to the parent account managing your child account. Is that correct? Do they happen to know the Windows LIVE ID? If so, they can reset the password by following these steps: support.xbox.com/.../manage-live-id

Once they have access to their account they can follow these steps tto promote your account: support.xbox.com/.../online-safety

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.