Can you put games on demand on an external hard drive?

Can you put games on demand on an external hard drive? Even if it's not to play, but to store and switch between what's on my HDD to play. I want to know before I go clearing the one I have for space. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 46 Applies to:

Yes, you can put Games On Demand (as well as Arcade Titles) onto external USB hard drives or flash drives. The biggest partition that can be used is 32 GB. I have run several Games On Demand off of USB flash drives and have had no performance issues.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would actually like to piggyback on the question.  I have an xbox 360E that I bought used (refurbished) on Ebay.  Since I like to install my games on the HDD so that there is little DVD access (noise issue), my 120GB hard drive is filling up quickly.  I would buy a MS 320 GB drive, but I think that it would be insufficient as well.

I noticed that you can add a USB HDD externally, but the partitions have to be in 32GB chunks.  Does xbox use NTFS or FAT32?  Also, if I were to buy a 1-3 TB drive, the I would have to essentially have a ton of partitions on the drive, correct?  And if this is possible, will the xbox automatically use the external drive as the main drive, or will it show as an additional drive?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm not a hard-core gamer and am really enjoying the xbox and want to get the most out of the experience.  Thanks in advance for any information.

MIACLOCKMAN

Everyone's brain is like a camera - some are just missing the film (or memory card in today's world)

Sorry this didn't help.

For future reference, it's best to create your own thread instead of bumping at old one.

Even if you were to buy a 1-3 TB hard drive, the console will only see 32gb of it. It won't read a bunch of 32gb partitions.

I believe it has to be FAT32. The console will see it as extra storage, not a main drive.

Sorry this didn't help.