Can Someone Help Me Open My NAT?

I have read all of the forum posts and troubleshooting and they are not helping me. Right now my NAT is on moderate and it is not letting me connect to some of my my friends parties and games. I'm pretty sure why all of the other forum posts and trouble shooting aren't helping me is because my xbox is not connected to a router (my router is a Actiontec MI424-WR rev. F), it is connected to a desktop computer (linux) that is wirelessly connected to the internet. I have been in the router configuration page and  have turned on the UPnP, I have made my computer the dmz host, and I have also attempted port forwarding but I couldn't do that because my xbox is not connected through the router. In one of the trouble shooting steps it said connect the xbox directly into the modem but the modem is located in a different room than the xbox and it cant be moved.

If no one can help me can you at least try to tell me if I buy a new router and put it in the same room as the xbox and connect the two would  I be able to change the NAT if i had my xbox connected to a router. Or if I bought a wireless adapter for my xbox I would be able to change it then.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi, first off all don't use a DMZ and UPnP as they are both trying to do the same thing.

Secondly what have ip address did you put in the DMZ of your router, your linux PC? If so that is not recommended as your PC will loose the protection the router gives it and finally because you are sharing your connection the best you'll get is a moderate connection because your router is NAT'ing the connection once and your linux sharing again, its called double NAT'ing.

On windows there is a feature called Bridging which creates a bridge between two adapters instead of sharing, meaning you don't NAT again, that resolves this type of issue so you can get an Open NAT, but I don't know if such a feature exists on Linux

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you are using a firewall on your computer, you will need to forward the required ports on the computer, as yout console is connecting through it, to open a clear line of communication between the console and computer.  Forwarding the ports on your router, with your computer's specific IP address, will create a sort of tunnel so that the xbox can communicate directly with the internet.  

Having said all of this, if your router is DHCP enable, and has a specific lease time for each network address it assigns, you will want to do a permanent DHCP reservation for your computer.  Most routers forward ports only to a specifies network address, and if it changes, those forwarding protocols no longer apply.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.