Can someone explain HDMI passthrough to me?

So I know you use the hdmi in on the xbox one to play cable through your Xbox, which is awesome. But there is one thing I am unsure of. Maybe I am missing something... Does that mean your xbox has to be powered on in order to watch cable? Do you HAVE to watch your cable box through xbox only if you use this setup?? For instance I was under the impression that the xbox could not control your cable box's dvr. So how do you use the dvr, if it is on the same tv input as your xbox. Maybe I'm a missing something here. Thanks for the help guys!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You don't have to have your cable box through your XB1.

If you don't you won't be able to switch from a game to tv or tv guide.

You would need to change your source from the hdmi that your xbox is connected into to the hdmi source your cable box is connected to.

You would use them both as you do now with the 360 and your cable box.

I think I will likely be sticking with having everything pass through my AV Receiver personally.

So I guess I am confused then. I thought in order for the tv to work in the xbox interface, snap etc - the cable box had to go into the hdmi in of the xbox? That's why I'm wondering if it's possible to use the cable box without the xbox on....

[quote user="petemoss41"]Does that mean your xbox has to be powered on in order to watch cable?[/quote]Don't think we know yet. I own a Yamaha YSP-4000 sound projector and it has a 2 in/1 out HDMI switch. I believe it works even if the YSP is turned off, though I've never tried with it removed from power completely.[quote]Do you HAVE to watch your cable box through xbox only if you use this setup??[/quote]Not sure what you mean.[quote]For instance I was under the impression that the xbox could not control your cable box's dvr.[/quote]The Xbox One can control devices via HDMI CEC, via the IR blaster built into the Kinect, or via an external IR blaster plugged into the back of the console.

It's going to work the same way as a Logitech Revue - the Xbox One will be an overlay over the video feed from the HDMI device. Control depends on what the device is. TiVo doesn't support HDMI CEC so I'm stuck using either an IR blaster or the Kinect.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]Don't think we know yet. I own a Yamaha YSP-4000 sound projector and it has a 2 in/1 out HDMI switch. I believe it works even if the YSP is turned off, though I've never tried with it removed from power completely.[/quote]

With regards to power and pass through I believe it will likely need to be on. I can't see how it would work as intended if it was in standby or switched off at the mains.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I guess I was just mostly wondering that if I plugged the hdmi out of the cable box into the hdmi in of the xbox, that if I wanted to I could have the option to watch cable tv using the xbox, or  like I do  now without the xbox?

I am not sure my wife will want to turn on the xbox everytime she wants to watch tv lol

Understandable. That's a concern for most people who would use this feature. Though I believe the intention is that the Xbox One would technically always be on. I guess we will find out at launch how the pass through works exactly.

Anyone familiar with the Logitech Revue knows how this works.  You plug your Cable Box into the unit and then you plug the unit into your TV's HDMI interface.  

Everything works exactly as it did before, the only difference now is that when you want it, you can call up the XB1 interface to the surface.  I have this functionality now with my Logitech Revue.  I could be watching cable, but let's say I want to watch a movie on Netflix or via Plex.  I can either use my phone's app for Voice Control or the Logitech Keyboard to type in the movie I want to watch. The system then gives me the option to watch in NetFlix, Amazon or Plex  ... I'm sure it will work in a similar fashion with the XB1

just thinking green and save the planet.  Yes it should have a passthrough option when the xbox is turned off.  It seems like a waste of energy to say the least.  And yes, it would make it easier for the wife to watch tv, LOL.  

I am not sure why so many people have reservations to turning on the One to watch TV. Use Instant On mode and its on in ten seconds and "Xbox On" can turn on your console, cable box and tv! Its easier than having to turn the TV and cable box on separately! And the console is designed to be always on for ten years! I don't get the argument that you don't want it on when watching TV.