can only connect to live through test network: need tech help

Hi, I've read several posts that seem the same.

At start-up I can't log in unless I go to test network connections first.

I get randomly booted off live and cant sign back in from within the game or the dashboard and can only do it from within the test network connections.

This problem only happens when I manually configure the required UDP, TCP ports (88, 3074, 80 & 53)-(yes I have done it correctly) to allow an open NAT type, when it's moderate I do not have this problem.

The test network connections does its thing and connects straight away with no errors or warnings.

The internet connection is stable and interleaved for a better latency. I get speeds of 40mbps down and 10mbps up with a very low error rate.

The xbox is wired straight into the router. My laptop never has any connection issues, even when used witlessly so there is no problem with the router or modem.

I use a BT router with an openreach modem (both compatible with xbox/xbox live). It's a high speed exchange to cab fiber optic broadband connection.

This problem is very frustrating and I noted that other querying it have not had an adequate technical response, if it happens again I think I'll just be switching back to a moderate Nat to solve the problem. At least I wont get picked to host on WM3.

No downloading my profile didn't help.

(On a side note as a quick question that I'd like an answer to, why wont my xbox stop using the network, even when it appears to be switched off, and doesn't completely shut down until I pull the network cable? Is xbox live using the network for cloud storage and is that why when I bought a 250GB hard drive a massive portion was reserved for system space, compared to the space reserved on the 8GB hard drive? inquiring minds and all that guff....)

Please, please, please for the love of all that is holy do not recommend I look at the xbox live wizard. It's completely useless for this problem and only has very remedial information for any problem

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

wirelessly = witlessly....nice spell check

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes! to the keep hold of the network after switch off, it does a sync to the cloud and yes it does keep a back up on the h/drive for safety, but it is not massive only 500MB ish.  If you turn off at the mains or, as you did pull out the network cable the Xbox will sync when you next switch on.

You need to set the router to UpnP and set the Xbox to auto network.

Found this for you to try.

Check out this link: [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ezGzzFbP8]

If it works :)

If not make sure the router and modem firmware are up to date.

Check out this link: www.theregister.co.uk/.../bt_modem_replacement I hope this is not what is causing you some problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

already had BT replace the modem & the settings on the router are all fine but thanks for the suggestion.

I got sick of switching on my laptop and logging into various settings etc to try figure it out so I rigged an old dual boot wireless desktop to work as a glorified wireless dongle. I use windows and I get a steady connection and a moderate NAT, I use linux and I get an open NAT but with the same problem as above. Interestingly enough I can get an open NAT through windows with the exact same problem so I've had 3 totally different open NAT connections with the exact same thing going wrong, I'm starting to think it's a (-nother) design flaw in the older model 360's.

as far as the cloud sync goes I turned cloud storage off so it has no business staying connected when I tell it to turn off, I don't even like the new dashboard setup where it try's to make you log onto xbox live just to use your profile with xbox games & I despise games that wont let you play unless you're connected to live, they go straight back to the shop...that nearly turned into a full blown rant...still frustrated

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you are using the Homehub you don't need to open the ports manually, set it up like this:- www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../53-bt-homehub-strict-nat-tbc

I use the HH3 and my NAT is Open with UPnP only and the Xbox on ip address auto

Sorry this didn't help.

hi and thnx for the input but since last night i've moved all my stuff upstairs & enjoying the wireless connection through a pc while laid in bed, I have the HH3 too but i was manually doing the ports with an old router to check if it was BT's that was the problem, i dont boot linux at all now i just use windows for open (bridged) or moderate (ICS)  NAT and after some tinkering i dont have to quit the game now or do a connection test but it's still dropping connection every 10 to 15 mins with an open NAT, it's working better than it did with a direct connection to the hub. though. the moderate (ICS) windows Nat needed me to leave the ip to auto but set the DNS manually for the open bridged i had to set the ip manually and leave the DNS to auto

>.<

the amount of money ive spent on this xbox and games is stupid, then they bring a new version out, again. not a chance, everything microsoft is comming from a second hand shop from now on.

Sorry this didn't help.

never mind, gone back to moderate NAT. Problem solved.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK my frustrated friend, I have been looking into possible causes of your NAT prob.  Lucky I live in New Zealand now instead of having to put up with BT and SKY with thier restrictions.  I have also had some problems, see here for my saga:  forums.xbox.com/.../220129.aspx

Anyway, have you been to this site below, lots of very good sound info, Shadowman is a very good allie when it comes to network issues.  The following link has all the variants of BT routers etc and how to get open NAT on each.  Read through to find which one relates to your NAT problem.  Hope this helps to suppress the frustration ;)

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../53-bt-homehub-strict-nat-tbc

Good luck, regards,  SteveH.

Sorry this didn't help.

LOL

Sorry this didn't help.

left it at the dashboard had a nap and a bacon sandwich then awoke to see the little black connect to xbox live screen, I don't have enough middle fingers to fully express my frustration.

I checked out your post Steve and I had a good thumb through shadowmans (used to love that game for the dreamcast) site, still can't find a magic bullet solution. thanks again for your help though

Sorry this didn't help.

ok after reading the event log on the router the xbox live connection was dropped (disassociated code 4) to renew the network wireless lease and it wasn't the xbox's fault. Fixed this by changing the lease time on the router.

So the moderate connection through windows ICS is still working ok plus I think I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities as to why the bridged open connection keeps dropping. At the minute I'm looking at snmp.exe on the computer, which was active at the time when there was no need for it to be. Also enabled port clamping on the router.

Sorry this didn't help.