Can not install update and without it we can not connect to xbox live

Okay, I have been trying off and on for almost 6 months now to get help with our Xbox 360.  In the beginning, a notification came up as soon as we turned it on stating there was an update that needed to be installed.  So we attempted to install it.  It didn't work, and without it working, we can not connect to Xbox Live.  I looked up the error code (42FE-43C5-1380-267F-C000-0185)  that it kept giving me and there was no information on that particular code that I could find.  I was told to purchase a USB Flash Drive, download the update there, then install it from the Flash Drive.  It didn't work.  Then I was told to purchase a new hard drive, that didn't work.  I've went through steps of deleting the update and starting fresh, disconnecting everything and starting fresh.  

I have done every single thing you can imagine recommended by the representatives to get this update to install, but it will not work.  This last time I spoke with them, they told me I had to open some ports and enable DMZ through my ISP.  We tried that, and it didn't work.  I don't know what other thing I can do to get this download to install and I'm at my wits end.  The Xbox 360 that I bought, is the 4GB one.  I soon found out that that wasn't nearly enough storage space which is why I bought the additional hard drive.  Here's the thing and I've been trying to explain this to every single representative that I've spoke to but they keep thinking I'm talking about the additional hard drive.  (Which is mainly the reason I bought a brand new one just so that I could prove to them that the additional hard drive was not the issue.)  In the storage area, it lists 3 devices.  The Cloud Saved games, the Hard drive (the additional one I purchased) and the third one which I can only assume is the 4GB hard drive that came with the system, which says Unformatted.  So why don't I just reformat it you may ask?  I've tried, over and over again.  I click on format, it goes through as if it's formatting, and then goes right back to saying Unformatted.  I am at a loss.  I can't tell you how insane this has drove me trying to fix this.   If there is anyone out there that can give this Mom some advice on what to do so that my kids can play their games, I'd really appreciate it!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

[quote user="SplinterHowl"]Taidara, what is one supposed to do if a warranty's life is beyond expired (my X360 E console ran fine for its first 1.5 years of use up until last month), that has the 4GB internal harddrive Unformatted issue as of recent? I ask because if sending in for repair is the only option, how is that feasible without a warranty on said device?[/quote]If you know for sure your console is no longer covered by the warranty, then any repair that will be issued, would be at your own expense.

The vast majority of users experiencing this during system updates, which probably triggers the final failure phase with the intense disk, or flash activity, which is a sign on its own, that it would have happend sooner or later.

Visit: Xbox Online Service Center for a quick brief if your console is still under warranty, or to request a repair.

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

SplinterHowl, you would have to pay for the service if your warranty has ended.

Sorry this didn't help.

Taidara, what is one supposed to do if a warranty's life is beyond expired (my X360 E console ran fine for its first 1.5 years of use up until last month), that has the 4GB internal harddrive Unformatted issue as of recent? I ask because if sending in for repair is the only option, how is that feasible without a warranty on said device?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings Garda!

For you to have the best support possible, please go ahead and start a new thread with a detailed description of your situation. Include any error code you are getting, along with a detailed list of any troubleshooting steps you have tried up to this point.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried everything and been on phone support with 4 different techs for over 5 hours.  I am told my unit has gone bad. There is nothing wrong with the update. I told them I have seen hundreds of posts on this issue in the past 3 days. Tech support told me they have not had any complaints or calls about this. I told them to check these forums because there are people on here with the problem and I doubt everyone's units went bad at the same time while doing the update.

Sorry this didn't help.

If the internal flash memory shows as "Unformatted", then you would have to send your console in for a repair, as this cannot be resolved from your end.

Go to my service @ Xbox to request a repair for your console.

Check on the same page that your console is still covered by the manufacture warranty.

Remove any external storage device before sending your console in for a repair.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.