Can not get 360 slim to use wireless properly

I have had a new 360 slim for about 3 weeks now.  I hooked it up originally to my wireless router and all was good.  I would occasionally get disconnected from xbox live, but being new, i figured that happens on occasion.  In the first week I used it for 2 to 4 hours per night with minimal problems.  The second week got worse but I was still able to get on at times.  I called comast and they came out and installed a new modem.  Situation just got worse.  Last night I could not get on at all unless I hooked up an ethernet cable.  Played for a few hours with no problem.  Today troubleshooting continues.  My son has an older xbox as well.  He has the wireless G adapter on the back and it works over wireless with no problem.  OIther wireless devices in the house work fine as well. (laptops, ipods, ect..)  Comcast came today and ran a new drop to the house, my signal to modem did get better, but it was good to begin with.  I am starting to suspect a problem with the wireless portion of the new xbox slim.  I can get the slim to connect to xbox live using the following procedure.

Reset xbox network settings to default

search for wireless networks again and when it sees my network enter password

xbox then proceeds to connect to xbox live

This sounds great but it will only do it once.  When I look at the network setting I am assigned a good ip from my wireless router.  If I try to run the xbox live connection test again it will fail.  It will normally make it to my router and then to the internet, but no live connection.  If I run it again it my not see router at all.  If I go back and check the network settings my good ip address has normally disappeared to be replaced by a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX address, which we all know is bogus because it is not getting a legit ip from the router.  In the middle of all of this I can go to my sons xbox and run the live test over and over with no issues at all.  I have reset everything many times in order.  Modem first, wait a minute, router next wait a minute, then xbox.  Again I have same issues and son's works fine.  I also tried to manually put in an IP and had the same results, it would only work once, if at all, and then crash after that.  Suggestions are welcome.  Starting to pull my hair out, and I don't have much left :)

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Texas
Modem brand & model number: Scientific Atlanta (Cisco)
DPC2100R2
Router brand & model number: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Network Connection Type: Wireless/Wired  Wireless
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? WEP
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter? Slim
Things you have tried: 
Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown  Yes
Is NAT Type Open? Open
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G?  Cable 12MB down, 3 MB up
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? Comcast
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" and click on "More info", what is the exact message shown on screen?  I have received almost every message :)

Thanks, Brian

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Hey mate, does this issue occur only when both consoles are on LIVE, or is it persistent? Also, the internal wireless adapters are a little weak when compared to the external adapters. How far is the Xbox 360 S from the router? And have you tried putting your son's adapter on the console, just to see if it resolves the issue?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Issue happens whether or not son's unit is on.  Unit is only about 30 feet away from router, normally shows 3 of 4 bars.  I have not tried using his adapter, but I will do that shortly.  Hopefully it will override the internal adapter?

Brian

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, attached his adapter and rebooted xbox.  Scanned for networks, added password and tested.  Success !!  Ran test a few more times and it was always good until I tried to hook up to my media center pc and then it crashed again.  I will deal with that later.  Reset network again, found network again, added password and it works again.  Ran connection test several more times with success.  Tried to run COD:BO and it showed it was on the network finally.  I would call this a success, but what to do about internal wireless adapter?  Do I need to set up some type of rma or what?  

Thanks, Brian

Sorry this didn't help.

What wireless channel and wireless mode are you using?

Do you also happen to have any 3rd party accessories that you use like Turtle Beach or Tritton headsets?

How many other networks appear on your wireless network screen and do any of the others, if there are any, have more than 2 bars of signal strength?

Lastly, is your router one that runs a feature called WPS (Wi-fi Protected Setup)?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I tried to reply to you twice this morning from my phone but it looks like it did not go through.  My reply basically was that I do have some Turtle Beach X31 headphones that are wireless and the receiver was close to the xbox.  Now that I got home I did move it away with immediate success !  I retested xbox live several times with the internal adapter and all was good.  I went to play a game and same thing happened :(  Moved the Turtle Beach receiver further away (about 2 feet) and retested and now all is good.  Xbox live test works fine and I can actually play a game.  Moral of the story, if you use the Turtle Beach wireless headphone, make sure the receiver is plenty far away from Xbox 360 unit.  The cords to the receiver are probably 6 feet long and that should be plenty for anyone else having a similar issue.  Thanks for all who read this thread and replied.  Stop by my house and I will buy you a pint :)

Cheers, Brian

Sorry this didn't help.