Can no longer connect to internet/XBox live after years of no problems.

I have had the same ISP (Time Warner) and the same wireless router for a couple of year now and I have never had any issues connecting to the internet or XBox live using a wireless connection.  Now I get a message from XBox live I cannot connect until I apply an update, but the update continually fails.  When I troubleshoot I get either IMCP message or DNS messages from XBox.  I've updated my firmeware in router the latest (LinkSys Router WRT54GS).  Rest up eveything but still no joy with connecting through the internet with my XBox.  All other devices (laptiops, ipHones, Android tablets) connect just fine to the internet.  It appears Microsoft has changed something and has my now in a catch 22 situation where I cannot connect to XBox live unless I apply an update, but I can't apply the update because Microsoft change something that will not allow me to connect to the internet or Xbox live..  So I followed the instructions for manually downloading and applying the currenct update for XbOx..  Now my Xbox just sits there with the XBox logo displaying, sio it appears I gone from bad to worse.  Just another example of how Microsoft can take something was working and throw some complication in there to make it break.

Has anyone else run into this issue of being able to connect with no problems to being unable to connect becuase of either IMCP, DNS issues, or both?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I've had same problem but i kept turning my xbox off and restarting it until after a few tries it started back up

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try resetting the network settings:

Turn off the Xbox 360 console.

If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, unplug it from your console.

Turn on the console.

Press the Guide button on your controller.

Go to Settings and select System Settings.

Select Network Settings.

Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network, if you are prompted to do so.

Select Configure Network

On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults.

This will only reset the network settings. This will not affectr console settings.

Turn off your console.

If you were using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, plug it back into the USB port and reconfigure the network settings

Sorry this didn't help.

Power down, press and hold the sync button (the small one to link in wireless controllers) and while holding it press the power button.

Continue to hold the sync button until the console is booted up.

Go to System Settings and choose storage.

On your controller, press the following button sequence: LB-RB-X-LB-RB-X  where LB is the Left Bumper and RB is the Right Bumper

Now, retry updating from the USB drive.

Sorry this didn't help.