Can I Use My USA Xbox In Germany?

Hi, I plan on going to Germany for 2 months on vacation. I was planning on bring my Xbox 360 but I had a few concerns that I wish could be resolved with the help of the forums. They are...

-Will I need a power supply converter.
-Will Xbox Live Work. (If yes, will i need to change my region to German instead of leaving it to US.)

-I had also heard that you only have the ability to change your region every six months, is this true?

-Is there some sort of list of games that will be blocked in Germany?

-Is Netflix blocked?

-Will I have problems with getting picture to the T.V. since Germany runs with PAL and US does not. I was planning on using an HDMI if I am able to.

-Will German games not work on my US Xbox, if i were to rent one at the time.

-And if not much of this is possible, where would I be able to purchase an Xbox in Germany, a "German" Xbox, not US.

Please respond and Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 172 Applies to:

I can answer a few questions for you.

I believe you will need a power supply converter, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Xbox Live will work, however, you won't have access to the same things you do in the US. You can still use your US account, and it should only cause an issue if you are trying to download region locked content. Netflix is only available in the US and Canada, so I doubt it will work in Germany. Account migration is only available for a few countries and Germany and the US are not in the list. So you wouldn't be able to change your account's region. You could create a German account if you want though.

As far as playing games on your Xbox, you'll have to check the disc. There are some discs that are region free and will work on PAL or NTSC consoles, but you may run across a lot of PAL discs which will not run on your US console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

some DLC is region locked specially in germany

gears of war and halo and blackops and world at war come to mind

and require the USK version (german)

well any retail store really for buying a usk xbox

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a conclusive answer to this.  You will definitely need a local Xbox power supply, voltage converter, or transformer.

I traveled out to Qatar with my US Xbox.  I saw the suggestions here and picked up a local Xbox power supply (For those in Doha, Qatar, I picked it up from Technical Care Centre in the City Center Mall).  However, before I tried that, I called the XBox support number to confirm.  The person on the phone thought I could just plug it into an adapter (no converter or transformer) and confirmed with her supervisor.  So I tried it, and tripped the circuit breaker in my hotel room.  I reset the breaker and tried the local power supply.  Thankfully, the XBox seems to work still.  Hopefully my US power supply still works when I get back home (they annotated my account and will give me a free replacement if it is an issue, given that it was due to their advice).

Sorry this didn't help.