Can I use a drive that already has data without erasing it?

I have a 2TB drive that I back my computer up on. I would like to use this drive for storage with my 360 as well if I can. Don't know if this will be a problem but I run both Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard on my iMac using Boot Camp. I have partitioned my backup drive so that I can backup both operating systems. 1TB is FAT32 and 1TB is Mac OS X Extended Journaled.

Here's my real question. I read through some stuff on this site and it said you can choose customize in order to choose how much space to use for 360. When I plug it in and choose customize instead of configure, which will erase and format the drive for 360 use, It still says that all content will be removed! So... both configure AND customize will erase what you already have on the drive?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1,077 Applies to:

Yes, you can do this. All you need to do is create a Fat32 partition using a program like AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is very simple to do and will take somewhere around 10 minutes to complete if you don't have to defragment the hard drive first. Using a tool like this or a similar one, shrink the existing partition down the amount that you want to have for Xbox 360 storage space (maximum of 32GB). Once you have done this, you will see unallocated space for the amount you shrunk the partition for. Right click this and create partition. Select type as Fat32 and Primary. Make sure it is PRIMARY. After this, just apply the changes and plug it into your Xbox when it finishes and you will have your storage device ready to go. :)

I'm not sure what file system the Xbox One uses, but you should be able to use a similar method for that if you even have to for the Xbox One.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, you can do this. All you need to do is create a Fat32 partition using a program like AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is very simple to do and will take somewhere around 10 minutes to complete if you don't have to defragment the hard drive first. Using a tool like this or a similar one, shrink the existing partition down the amount that you want to have for Xbox 360 storage space (maximum of 32GB). Once you have done this, you will see unallocated space for the amount you shrunk the partition for. Right click this and create partition. Select type as Fat32 and Primary. Make sure it is PRIMARY. After this, just apply the changes and plug it into your Xbox when it finishes and you will have your storage device ready to go. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

So I just figured it out. You were right that the 360 will reformat the drive if it is not in FAT32 format which is the case for me, mine is NTFS format. Someone with a usb drive already in FAT32 format CAN create a 360 partition without losing what is already on the drive from their computer. If the drive is not FAT32 you will lose all data on it when it is formatted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Um... unless I backup my backup drive on another backup drive. lol

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. You can use it with both AFTER you format it and set up the 360 partition. You can't take a drive with stuff already on it and start using it with 360 without erasing that stuff first.

Sorry this didn't help.

if you plug any external hard drive it should be backed up because the 360 will format it before setting up that 16 gig partition to be used on the 360, leaving the rest of the drive blank.  at least that is what I have seen and heard on other 360 forums.

Sorry this didn't help.