Can I split optical audio and HDMI?

Apologies if this has been asked already. I searched and didn't come up with anything.

I recently got a stereo surround sound system, with an optical port (SPDIF). I bought a 3rd party AV adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Catz-Xbox-360-Analog-Adapter-Headsets/dp/B004TEN2TO) that has an optical port on the back. When I attach that AV adapter to my Xbox 360, which already has an HDMI connection to my TV, it "steals" the video from the HDMI and the TV goes blank because obviously I don't have the cable connected to my TV, it's connected to the stereo. Is there any way to get the Xbox 360 to use the HDMI connection for video and the AV adapter connection for audio?

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 75 Applies to:

No, you can't. However, some audio setups/amps (Bose stuff) lets you do a pass through of the HDMI. But that adapter Is pretty much a scam.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="iglablues"]When I attach that AV adapter to my Xbox 360, which already has an HDMI connection to my TV, it "steals" the video from the HDMI[/quote]It is not supposed to do that. If it is, return the cable and get another. That cable is supposed to be a replacement for the one that MS used to sell for use with the console.[quote user="Vinyl Scratched"]No, you can't.[/quote]Can't what? Output optical and stereo while using HDMI? Yes you can. A properly pinned adapter does just that.[quote]But that adapter Is pretty much a scam.[/quote]It's a third party replacement for the original adapter that MS discontinued production of. I have three of the original MS adapters. They work fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah my apologies. 3 of my friends bought that same adapter, same company and all. Didn't know that there was an official one.

Datel things in general are really crummy in quality.

Sorry this didn't help.

Datel's products are unlicensed. Mad Catz should be licensed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, bummer. I guess it's a half bummer: it's good that it's supposed to work, but I'm bummed that it's not working. Really weird that I can hear the Xbox, but the video stops going through the HDMI connector. Ah well. Thanks!

Nothing

Sorry this didn't help.

Interestingly enough, I've now seen some reviews on Newegg indicating that others have had the same issue, but it's not across the board.

Nothing

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey this is the easiest fix ever: Take an old component cord which happens to have a lovely optical out on it...but wait you dont  need this anymore right? Wrong so I hoped you saved it when you decided you upgrade to HDMI which I did a very long time ago. Now this fix will cost you nothing but time and not much at that. The problem is  that you cannot connect both the HDMI and component physically into the xbox...the component blocks the HDMI cord...Solution: make it fit...

Take the component connector which you wont need anymore so you shouldnt mind doing this, and use a flat head screw driver to pop off the plastic cover which will be easy...

Then one you have taken off both sides..you should see a metal casing which contains all the little wires...

CAREFULLY remove the metal casing on the top side...the side that would be up if it was plugged in and set it aside

NOW ALSO CAREFULLY bend the lower metal housing upward(out of the way of the HDMI port thus allowing no block) just enough that you can make clearance with your HDMI cable...nothing will break no cords or wires will be disconnected...the distinct optical connection that is so wanted will now be exposed and facing upwards at about a 45 degree angle if you bent it correctly...

Now you can plus both in and connect the HDMI to your display...do not connect the component cords to anything this is important...now take your optical cord and plug it into the component area where you will see the fiber optic light coming from the port and connect it to your sound system of choice via its opitcal in...voila digital sound and for free..

Sorry this didn't help.