Can I download DLC to a USB Drive? & General Questions about using a USB drive for storage.

I'm weighing additional storage options for my ~10GB Xbox and I have a question about the use of a USB drive w/ the Xbox.

Can I download DLC content to the USB drive and play it off the drive?  What about whole arcade games?

What if I am using a disc for the additional content (such as the Fallout Game of the Year edition that came w/ a disc w/ the additional DLC content)?

If I determine that 32GB is sufficent for my storage needs, are there any reasons why I would want to go w/ a new hard drive as opposed to using a USB device?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 342 Applies to:

If I was you I would get an actual hard drive.

-

USB flash drives are just that, they are flash memory, and at times can be unstable. Especially for the things you are talking about. By playing directly off the flash drive you open yourself up to corrupt data, decreased performance, etc.

-

With an actual hard drive it's actual memory and not the flash memory so you automatically have better performance issues, and more solid state memory.

-

That's what I would do personally anyway. Hope that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can use a USB up to 32GB. It will function just like a normal hard drive for most things (DLC, Arcade games) but there are a couple limitations. The chart here shows what it can and can't store: support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded battlefield 3 dlc and it looks the same than a original xbox hard drive ......

Sorry this didn't help.

A lot of items, such as downloaded Xbox originals, various arcade games, and various DLCs require an actual official HDD to use.

A USB source is usable, and you can have two at up to 32 GB at the same time, but in the long run an actual HDD gives you more freedom.

Sorry this didn't help.