Can anyone confirm how DLC is tied to console/account, can it be removed 100% from a console?

Hi there,

Ok so here is my story and im looking for someone to confirm this before I go through with it.

I have two xbox's an old elite console and the slim both 250gb. I have done a license transfer to the slim but now I want to go back to my elite and I am selling my slim to a friend.

So here's where I need confirmation. If I do a license transfer BACK to my elite will that make my slim 100% DLC free like as if he bought it new from the store? Reason being I do not want anything from my gamertag and DLC to have any ties what so ever to the slim if I do not own it. So I want to make sure 100% that its like as if I never owned it and never had my gamertag or DLC on it.

I know the license transfer works but im curious if it leaves a trail of info on the consoles. So he if he sells it or w/e that person cant get access to my DLC or by phoning and saying I had DLC on this console before can I get it back?

Thank you in advance for your time

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

If you transfer the licenses back to your Elite, it will be as if they never belonged to the Slim.

Also if you've registered your Slim, you can check that here, https://myservice.xbox.com/en-us/pages/consolemanager.aspx?, it would be a good idea to have it removed from your account, so give Support a call and they can do that for you Call Us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok that sounds good.

I dont think I have registered it unless it does it automatic. I have never gone and put in any numbers or anything with the slim online, I just bought and did the lisense transfer and began to play. Now I have to wait till 12/10/2011 to do that transfer back, which is Oct 12, 2011 right? Not Dec 10, 2011... i hope not.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

The date would depend on where in the world you are. That would be the 12th of October for me here in the UK  but many places do use the US style M/D/YYYY system.

Edit: It also seems that you can remove the console from being linked to your account at the above link as well. So well worth doing as your friend would then be able to register it if he ever needs to send it if for a repair. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Even if you can't do the license transfer until December you can still just remove the content from the console before you sell it to your friend. He won't be able to use if you don't tell him the license for it is on the console. And you can still access any of your content fromt the Elite as long as you are connected to XBL.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to call support for your region and explain the situation to them. You never know, they may just transfer the license for you right then and there. This is not for 100% certain though, it is at their discretion. But it won't hurt to try.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok thanks for the replies and I called support and they said the same thing, if I transfer the license back to my older xbox the newer one will be just like he bought it new.

Now do you know how long you have to wait? the xbox support website says 121 days. But ive heard its a year since the last time ive used it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh nvm xbox uses a DD/MM/YYYY system and looking at my receipt the day I bought it and did the transfer from and now to Oct 12, 2011 is exactly 121 days. So I guess I answered my own question, heh.

Sorry this didn't help.