Buzzing power brick

Today Xbox 360's power brick began to make an annoying buzz. It sounds like there's an issue with the cooling fan. Something's come loose or something. It still works well enough. Before I order a replacement, I was wondering if the AC adapter is covered by the console's warranty.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 71 Applies to:

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think so.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I imagine Microsoft would probably use the fact that it still works as an excuse not to replace it even if it was covered anyway. Ah well. Replacement are cheaper than I thought at least.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Oblivion! I understand your power adapter is making an odd sound when in use. First, yes, the power supply is under the same warranty as the console, so you're fine there if your console is still under warranty. Also, are you seeing any yellow or orange lights on the power supply, or is it consistently green? You may also try the steps listed here (support.xbox.com/.../check-power-supply) just to be safe, but if you need to request a replacement, there is a link and instructions at the bottom of the page. Let me know if this helps, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Other than the noise, it functions fine for now, but I'm concerned continued use will lead to failure and possibly cause damage to the console as well. Unfortunately, I already placed an order under the impression only the console itself could actually be replaced or repaired for free. I suppose I can see if I can contact someone at Microsoft and ask for a refund since my Xbox is still under warranty. And if not, it wasn't outrageously expensive or anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

where  did you order the replacement? mine is doing the same...

Sorry this didn't help.

Where do you find th replacement because mine is doing the same thing as well because it automatically shuts off

Sorry this didn't help.

Not a great idea to dig up old threads.

You can order a new power supply from myservice.xbox.com. Register first, then you can start a request and buy a new power supply or get yours replaced if the console is under warranty.

The site does work, however it can be slow as molasses in winter from time to time. I have 10+ consoles registered and it's currently not showing any of them. If you have fewer consoles on your account the site should load faster.

Sorry this didn't help.

Old thread, yes, but still an ongoing problem as I had the same problem today. I'm savvy enough to take it apart and re-lube the bearing. Heck, even replace the fan. However, I decide for the old school NES cartridge way. Unplug all the cables. On the brick you'l find air vents on the two sides as well as four smaller slit vents on the top. Start with the end vents and blow super hard into them, tons of dust will blow out the two slit vents closest. Do the same on the other side; should have the same result. Now blow in each of the four top vents. Repeat if you feel so inclined. Fixed my problem straight away. I can't however guarantee the same for you.

Sorry this didn't help.