Buying new Xbox console, questions about moving saved info to new one

My old console died a week ago, was the older version console w/20 gig hard drive.  It came with a memory card that I have all my saved game data on; however all purchased games and gamertag/Xbox Live account is on the hard drive.  I prefer *not* to buy a transfer cable if I can prevent it, which leads me to the following questions-

1. Can I load up my gamertag/Xbox Live account on the new console without needing the old hard drive?

2. Can I re-download the games I purchased that are currently on the old hard drive?

3. Is there any way I can view what is left on the old hard drive to determine if it is worth it to move to the new console?

Thanks in advance for your replies, suggestions, links, etc :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

hi the answer to the questions you have asked is as follows.

1 yes you can recover your gamer tag on to your new xbox by using the "recover gamer tag" on the 360 dashboard.

2 when you go to the games you already purchased it should say that you have already purchased this game, would you like to re-download to your HDD again.

to view the contents of your old HDD you can use a data transfer cable or if the new 360 is the same as your old one you can just swap HDD's over.

Is your new xbox the xbox 360 slim

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="DoubleD005"]

1. Can I load up my gamertag/Xbox Live account on the new console without needing the old hard drive?

Yes.  All you need to do is retrieve your Gamertag from Xbox Live: http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/xbox-live/how-to/xbox-live-account-management/gamer-profile#tab-1-section7

2. Can I re-download the games I purchased that are currently on the old hard drive?

Yes. All of your content is available to download again via your download history https://live.xbox.com/Download/History

3. Is there any way I can view what is left on the old hard drive to determine if it is worth it to move to the new console?

Unfortunately no.  To get all the content off the hard drive you will need a transfer cable.  The only other way of seeing what is on the hard drive is to attach it to another compatible 360 console.  You could then use a configured USB flash drive to copy or move data, such as save games.[/quote]

Sorry this didn't help.

The new console I purchased today was from a major retailer, a Xbox console w/Kinect.  I presume that it is the slim version...

Sorry this didn't help.