Broke Down ~ Bought a new Windows Tablet

With the release of XB1 2 weeks away... I decided I wanted a tablet just for home, dedicated to the XB1. I already have a 2nd Gen iPad for work related items...

(Mentioned this on a post a week ago)

Well anyways... went to Best~Buy and bought the Windows Surface RT... was $350...  Not bad at all for a basic windows tablet.... I talked to XB Support and as any tablet ~ pad will work.. windows OS based pads are the best... and are more integrated into the XB1 than say the jelly beans OS. That being said.. he was right... so nice that my home screen looks like the XB1 dashboard.. my games tab is directly tied to my XBL account and everything on it feels like how the XB1 will most likely feel.. .  If you are on the fence or looking to get one.... I would recommend it... or anythng with a Windows OS running.

Specs:

OS Windows RT (8) w/ Home Office

10.6" screen

32Gb Storage & 64Gb w/ card

2GB Memory 

Quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3

Initial battery charge lasted 3 days.. testing 2nd charge now....

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="vG Ghostz"]

Can i install google chrome on the surface 2 RT

[/quote]

RT can only run apps from the Windows Store. You can run Google Chrome on Surface Pro 2.

[quote user="dudeskis01"]

[quote user="LostKauz"]

. I hate anything to do with the Internet over a Smart Phone. 

[/quote]

i agree for web browsing. but i still use the internet a decent amount on my phone. from checking traffic and getting directions, to streaming music, emails, playing games online, etc. for those thing you have apps which work well with the small form factor. the phone is also great for mp3s, taking pictures, texting, watching videos, playing games, keeping a calendar so i dont forget things, making calls, and all sorts of things. sure you can do this on a lot of older phones, but the newer smart phones are nicer especially when it comes to watching video, taking pictures, playing games, and email.

[/quote]Actually, my current phone does only two things, makes/ receives phone calls and Text. I don't have time nor would I if I did spend the time doing those things from a phone. Trust me when I say, I'm the worst Consumer for any type of Smart Phone.

yeah the ipad has an amazing screen.. there is no doubting that.... Netflix is pure HD on the ipad.. somewhat lower on the Tablet but for some reason... it looks more deep and rich...  more 3D than clear.. if that makes sense...the magnet keyboards are great... I didnt get one.... as it doubles as a screen protector .. but for just laying on my coffee table.. it will be OK...

still dunno which one to get iv never had a surface tablet before whats the screen like seeing as its only 208PPI compared to the ipads 280PPI

[quote user="An Xbox Dude"]

[quote user="vG Ghostz"]

so can i install google chrome from the app store coz i hate IE with a passion. also the pro is dif to the RT in many ways

[/quote]

Google has said they will never release any apps in the Windows Store besides the only one they currently have which is the Google search app. If you used IE 11 for 5 minutes on Windows 8.1 I'd think you could get over loving Google Chrome more than yourself.

[/quote]

they backed off this stance after ms made their own youtube app that blocked ads automatically. though i dont think you will ever see google maps or chrome, but more so because ms doesnt want the competition.

-

i think ie is actually alright on rt. every browser ive used on a mobile device ive hated. id say i hated ie on rt the least.

I have a windows 8.1 laptop I think it's a good OS, going to get a Lumia 1020 smartphone next month, I like being part of the same ecosystem, plus Lumia 1020 has it all for a smartphone and it's hard to say no to a 41 megapixel camera on a smartphone when the competitors don't even come close.

The app store is going to boom over the next few years with all the Windows 8.1 platforms integrating together.

well i wanna use it to surf the net and come on these forums also wanna use it for xboxone smartglass and battlefield with commandor mode

I love my wife's Surface Pro...we fight over using it and she won't let me install anything on it, but I was able to sneak Halo:SA on... :)

at best buy they had a bundle sale... windows phone, Surface tablet and the XB360, all for like $950 or something... came with a year XBL and a plastic keyboard....

But yeah.. they are pushing that huge mergers since all 3 (4 including X1) will all work in tandem now...

[quote user="LostKauz"]

. I hate anything to do with the Internet over a Smart Phone. 

[/quote]

i agree for web browsing. but i still use the internet a decent amount on my phone. from checking traffic and getting directions, to streaming music, emails, playing games online, etc. for those thing you have apps which work well with the small form factor. the phone is also great for mp3s, taking pictures, texting, watching videos, playing games, keeping a calendar so i dont forget things, making calls, and all sorts of things. sure you can do this on a lot of older phones, but the newer smart phones are nicer especially when it comes to watching video, taking pictures, playing games, and email.

-

another thing not mentioned in this thread that is a nice bonus for the windows mobile devices is that a large portion of the games you play will add to your gamerscore.