Bright Red Light on Halo Reach Xbox Slim

Was playing Halo last night, with no problems whatsoever, turned the xbox off, and went to bed.

Now, when I woke up this morning I noticed that the power button on my Halo Reach Xbox Slim was bright red.  No corners or anything, just a light coming from the center.  Out of curiosity, I turned it on, launched a game, and even loaded a map, just to see if the harddrive and everything was working, and I don' thave any problems... yet.

Is this something that I should be worried about, or could it just be something small?  Is it odd that the light came on while the xbox was off? (It didn't turn on when I powered down my xbox the previous night.)  I didn't mess with any cables either before or after this problem, and honestly haven't played it since (besides booting and loading), but I'm just asking if I should go ahead and get a repair.  It is less than a year old (Halo Reach, obviously) so I assume I'm under warranty, so I'm  not too worried about the financial state.

I would really appreciate it if a support personel could give me some advice.  Thanks.  :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

Just to be on the safe side i would call MS and ask. Cause that is weird when there is a red light its like the RROD hardware failure soon. So get it checked out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, I know that the RROD doesn't technically exist for the new xbox slim, of course it can still fail, though.  

I'm not ready to jump to a conclusion that all red lights are bad (or, at least, destructively bad)

The thing is that I can't find hardly information on it online, and sources contradict.

I don't see why mircosoft doesn't list the meanings (or possible meanings) of indications like that.  There would be a whole lot less speculation, and people would be better informed.

That's why I'm hoping a support person will respond.  If it means replacement, so be it. But I want to know before it explodes on me, you know?  Or at least have an idea of what it means, even if it is a "this or that" scenario.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would get it checked out if they don't respond on here I would call support on the phone. I have the same Halo edition console and it started freezing and taking 5-10 minutes to load any screen even the Xbox logo screen. So I figured I need to clear my caches on my harddrive so I did. After I did that and restarted the system back up it had formatted my harddrive I lost everything on the harddrive. I then tried to recover my gamertag and it told me that the contant was to large for the storage device and froze. I powered down and turn it back on and it gave me a system error screen saying contact support E84 and the center light on the power button was red like a evil eye. It does it everytime I turn it on so I have to get it replace but all the progress I made in the games I had on the Harddrive is gone forever no replacing that. I say this to tell you don't wait til it wipes you out like me sure you can retrieve you gamertag and gamerscore but how do you get back the saved game data that you worked so hard to get. You don't unless you do it all over which can be fun I guess if you like to back track. Sometimes the quick fix that they have on here to solve problems like freezing screens can do more harm then good sometimes not always. I say that because not all situtions are the same there could be other things going on at the same time as the freezing screen I learn the hard way. Don't read me wrong I not saying that it is the advice that is on here that caused what happen to me because I choose to look for a quick fix to the freezing screens on here and do the things that have lead me to this point. Just cover all base before you act unlike me.Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Did the light stay on when you turned it on? Or did it go away? Has the problem persisted since this instance?

Sorry this didn't help.