Brick Overheating?

I got my Xbox 360 in July 2011, 250GB hard drive, brand new, and aside from the brick being noisy on occasion I haven't had any issues with it at all.  It's been in the same place the whole time, and a few months ago it suddenly shut down on me in the middle of a game with no warning whatsoever.  I touched the console, warm but not really hot and no red lights there, but the brick itself was pretty hot and the light on THAT had gone red.  It stayed red and even after it had cooled down, the unit would not power back up.  I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it turned on again.

When it started doing this, I generally could only run it for an hour or so before it would shut down.  Then after about a month it stopped doing it altogether and ran normally without any problems whatsoever.  Now, about three months later, it's started shutting down again after about an hour of play.

Is it just the brick overheating?  It's noisy but it's always been, so I didn't think it was really an issue.  I've tried moving it out more into the open, hoping better ventilation would help, but it seems to have no effect.  Anybody know what's going on here?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

What you can do is make sure the powerbrick has plenty off fresh air don't hide it behind other stuff it need's cooling.

you can also try  blowing compressed air true the brick blowing out all the dust..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It sounds to me like you have a faulty conection to the fan inside your power supply if it is still under warranty i would suggest sending it in for a replacement. This would explain the randomness or the issue. sometimes the fav will get full voltage and sometimes it wont at this point in time it runs slower and louder and will let heat build up in turn puting it into protect mode with a red light.

good luck to you and i hope you get the issue fixed :D

Sorry this didn't help.

I always stand mine on a hard surface,carpet tends to build up the heat,I also make sure its not collecting to much dust

Sorry this didn't help.