Brand New Controllers 'Creeping.'

Firstly, for those to whom it is not obvious, when I say 'creeping' what I mean is the analog stick, when released, does not go to 'dead center,' which causes either move or look in first person games to continually move, or look, with no input from the user.  You can imagine how annoying this is, IE, when you're trying to line up a good sniper shot and your controller 'creeps,' or when you're building in Minecraft and your Steve just randomly walks off the top of the building.

My current controller is less than a year old, and it's creeping.  It was purchased to replace another controller that had begun creeping. While I find this annoying, I also understand that controllers wear out (of course, I hesitate to mention that my PS3 controllers are both 5 years old and have never had this problem.)

What I find most disturbing, however, is that I've bought THREE BRAND NEW controllers (all from different stores, just in case it's a 'lot' issue) and they've all creeped right out of the box.

No, it's not a configuration issue.  The controllers are dead center when they're turned on.  No, it's the an issue with the box, they don't all creep in the same way (first controller: left thumbstick creeped left, second controller: right thumbstick creeped right, third controller: right thumbstick creeped left (a little) and right (a lot.))

I'm getting tired of returning brand new Microsoft brand controllers because of this issue.  Is Microsoft aware of this problem?  Is it a run of new controllers?  Please help me to understand.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 117 Applies to:

sounds like a string of bad luck! eventually you'll get a controller that lives up to your standards

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Agreeing with PUNISHER, it's probably just a coincidence that all the controllers you have bought have done this because I have a Microsoft controller now and it hasn't done that yet (owned it for 2 years so far).

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same thing with ALL of my controllers now.

It's like there is another player moving the right stick in opposite direction of what im moving it in, very strange and gives me RSI.

This 1st started happening 2 months ago and has gotten worsen since, literally tried everything possible (clearing cache, reconnecting on other USB port, removed HDD, traded in the brand new controller that was doing it (3x now) dishing out the old wireless with the left stick loose so no run) and i'm going nuts over this. At 1st I kept blaiming the controllers but this is not only a controller thing i'm afraid. Started noticing it when not getting close to normal K/D in shooters, my aim was always off target.

It's only the right stick that puts alot of pressure out making me work the * out of the stick while playing and makes it unplayable.

Not all the time but completely random, like the aim assist is working extremely all over maps (turning this off in settings of xbxo dash does not help, in game neither)

Thinking of buying a new xbox but afraid i'm going to run in to this problem on the new one instantly too and I found that some other owners ran into this crazy thing so better wait it out a little more, might be an update thing or something.

No noticable drift of character on screen btw which is normally caused by off-center of worn out stick and im familiar with.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try wiggling the joystick before you turn the console on to make sure it is in true center. You could also try compensating for the drift by holding the thumbstick where you think center is when starting up. Otherwise as far as I know true center is set at the factory.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried wiggling with older pad, nothing, compensating neither so yesterday I exchanged the 1 week old pad and got me another 1 from another store (to make sure it wasn't a bad lot) and this morning the new one straight out of the package has it from the start so there goes true center off factory..

It is 'centered' but when moving along the axis it's like the spring is set wrong or something, my right hand is aking awfully due to a 1hr session with the new pad dang :-(

Tried the wiggle as soon as i noticed it with the new pad 2 and it makes it worse even.

Strange very strange controller/xbox problem that i cannot get my hands on, can it be that a pad with an non OEM stick (did some diy on loose stick with ol pad) is the cause of this?

When I connect that pad I literally yank to left and right but the tension was not there that makes it unplayable now.

Sorry this didn't help.

After change from that 'diy'ed' pad back to original (new) M$ did not pose a problem.

All movement was fine on both sticks and than it started out of the blue on that new pad which was 4 pads ago now.

Sorry this didn't help.

the sticks are much worse on newer controllers,everyone i know has this problem to varying degrees,they just aren't as durable as they used to be

Sorry this didn't help.