Brand new console, buzzing power brick

Hi there.  I purchased a new 360 S console online and it's working fine, but there is something wrong with the Power brick.  After about five minutes it makes a buzzing sound.  At first I thought it was the console, but closer inspection has confirmed it's definitely the PSU.  Putting the brick on it's side stops the noise, but I'd rather not do that for long, and I'm concerned that it's faulty.

I would send it back, but the retailer is online only, and I would rather not send the whole thing back because of a nosy PSU.  Will Support send me a new one if I phone up?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Yep they will but usually they would rather have you contact the retailer for an exchange in 30days.

But in this case, you might be with out a console for a few more days.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  I have contacted Xbox Support, I couldn't replicate the issue with them over the phone (typical lol).  Anyway the guy I spoke to was very nice and gave me a reference for the call.  I've now plugged the console direct into the mains rather than an extension plug.  I will see if the problem occurs again.  They say they should be able to send me a replacement PSU if it's still a problem.  So It's all good.

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad it work - was the extension plug a power tree or one of those 6$ jobbers from the hardware store used during the holidays?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's only a cheap four way plug adapter.  I don't recall where I purchased it from now, I do know that it wasn't expensive and it's not surge protected either. I'm from the UK and I only paid about £5 or £10 for it.  My TV, and cable box all work fine from it though.  I think I'll replace it lol.

I was on my Xbox for about three hours last night, now plugged into the mains. There is very slight noise from the PSU, apparently these new ones have fans, but it wasn't buzzing anymore thank goodness! :)

Sorry this didn't help.