Bought a Banned console.

I bought a banned console from GameStop. When i went back they told me they couldn't do anything since it has been a week prior to me buying it. I spent all the money i saved up just for this, and i cannot connect to xbox live on it. What should i do?

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 271 Applies to:

I bought a used console from Game Stop last year. When I got it home I connected everything and ran a connection test. It wouldn't connect (faulty ethernet port). I immediately took it back and got an exchange. Works like new to this day. Point is I didn't wait a week.

Game Stop has no way of knowing if the console was banned before you bought it or if it was banned while in your possession during your time using it. They tell you, atleast the one I go to, that they have no way of testing if the console is able to connect to XBL or not. They also tell you, again atleast at the one I go to, that if it does not to bring it back right away and they'll give you another one.

Game Stop doesn't have to refund/exchange anything since you waited so long to connect it to XBL. Like I said above they have no way of knowing if it was done before or after you purchased it. But there is nothing MS can do for you. You could try contacting the Game Stop Corporate Office but that may not go the way you want it to either, but since trying never hurt anyone I say go for it. Good Luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

But, they can't refund me. And it isn't even my fault. I did nothing wrong.

Sorry this didn't help.

the users above are correct Microsoft will not unban a console even if it has a new owner, Microsoft will not be able to help you in this situation, the only thing you can do is contact GameStop.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="dij2004"]I bought a banned console from GameStop. When i went back they told me they couldn't do anything since it has been a week prior to me buying it.[/quote]

You should 't accept that answer from them, as it contradicts their own return policy.  http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Returns.aspx

[quote]Pre-owned Guarantee

This pre-owned product has been carefully tested, and is guaranteed to work. If you are not completely satisfied, simply return the product within 7 days for your money back or identical exchange within 30 days of purchase.

[/quote] 

Sorry this didn't help.

Gamestop is passing the buck.  

An option would be to list it on ebay, declaring that it is banned from XBL or else you withholding that information is dishonest.  People will buy banned consoles, so don't worry about that.  Not everyone has or wants XBL.  Shipping through USPS Priority Mail is about $15-20 because it takes a good sized box to hold the console and power brick.  So if you do sell on ebay, set your shipping costs at that.

EDIT:  Zen posted something when I was typing.  Nice find, Zen.  DJ that is your key.  If you're a kid, have an adult go there and work with them on resolving this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately that is one of the risks when purchasing used consoles. You'll have to go back to GameStop and work with them.

-

Once the Enforcement team bans a console, they do not unban it even if it has a new owner.

-

Wish I had more.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="dij2004"]But, they can't refund me.[/quote]They can do whatever they want. There are no regulations stating they cannot give you your money back, just a corporate policy that can be bent. File a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau and write a real paper letter to their corporate office to complain. The potential for bad press may get them to give you a refund.[quote]And it isn't even my fault. I did nothing wrong.[/quote]You did plenty of things incorrectly here.

- You ignored GameStop's seven-day return policy on used products and didn't test the console once you got home.

- You bought a used 360 console. That's "wrong". A console can be banned at any time once it has been flagged for enforcement.

- You helped support GameStop's secondary market model

Sure, you can sit there and pretend none of this is your fault, but it's not true. You are at least partially to blame for this situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="dij2004"]I talked to their customer support and they said come talk to these guys.[/quote]What, GameStop passed the buck?

There is nothing MS will do for you. This is an issue between you and GameStop.

Sorry this didn't help.

They asked me to notify xbox about this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I talked to their customer support and they said come talk to these guys.

Sorry this didn't help.