Black screen on Home screen

My xbox one boots, then I get a black screen.  Odd thing is that I can double click to the X on the controller and select an account, logon etc, I can also select reboot console and shutdown console but if I select settings i get a black screen, the home screen is always black.  I have removed the power for the xbox, left for 10secs and turned back on but the behaviour continues.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 81 Applies to:

This issue often is caused by corrupted data in the console which prevents the home screen from loading correctly, this can often be fixed by a factory restore. Now as you can't actually access the settings to do this there is a way to restore to factory defaults using a USB flash drive.

If you visit the offline system diagnostic support page you can download the Restore Factory Defaults file:

support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Read through the process of formatting the flash drive etc thoroughly and follow the instructions as if you were doing a system update but using the file you downloaded you may find that your console will then boot correctly.

Hope this helps you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know if this will be helpful for anyone but I went through all of the methods to get my screen back to no avail. After months and months of the black screen of death, the problem seemed to be, at times, related to my television. I changed the setting in my television menu to turn off the "video noise reduction" setting and the "dynamic light control" (DLC) setting. So far this seems to have eliminated the black screen issue. I suspect it was my noise reduction setting that was reading something from the Xbox One as "noise" and blocked video content. I hope this helps at least some people with this problem.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.