Black screen of death

My xbox one starts up. The green xbox screen shows for 20 seconds then goes black. Ive tried waiting it out but no luck and the offline system reset didnt work

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

HI BuenoTagg,

Sorry you're having issues with getting your Xbox to boot up. I'm going to give some steps that you didn't mention you tried, but I'll go ahead and post them anyways. If you already did those steps, then try them again (can't hurt). 

First when you reach the black screen, try to do the hard reset. To do this, with your console on hold the power button for about 5 seconds. The console will quickly shut down. After you've done this, turn it back on and see if it boots up completely. If that doesn't work, unplug your Xbox from the wall. Wait about 15 minutes then plug it back in and see if it starts up. 

You started that you did the Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool. What were the results when you did this? When you flashed the drive was it flashed NTFS or FAT32? Did you hear the 2 tones when you did the BIND and EJECT? For a full tutorial on how to use this utility please see the link below. Post back and let us know if this gets you working, or if you're still having issues. 

Offline System Update Tool 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So i did the offline update and it got my system back to normal for a few minutes. i can open any apps or play any games. Anytime i try to open an app or game it says "that took too long to start, try again" and within a few minutes my system starts freezing again giving me no ther option but to hold down the power button for 10 seconds

Sorry this didn't help.

So if you're past the black screen then that's good. You may want to try a hard reset to see if apps open? With the Xbox on hold the power button down till it turns odd, then turn it back on. If that doesn't work see if a factory reset gets you back to normal, see link below.  It does sound like something very odd is going on with your console. 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/reset-console-to-factory-defaults

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

So i restored it again and apps are working fine because i didnt install any of my digital games but i just tried to install state of decay and ten minutes into installation.....froze up again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Atleast i figured out my problem. Cant install any of my games. Sucks cause all my games are digital

Sorry this didn't help.

Does the memory stick need to be USB 3.0?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BuenoTagg, Glad that it was working, and glad you sort of figured out your issue. That said I'm sorry it's still freezing up a bit. If you did a full reset to factory, and you had to use the offline diag tool to get the update to go, you may be having a hardware issue. If this continues to happen, I would suggest doing a repair on your console. 

Service Center

Hi MaV 40, Do you have your own post, you've started with this issue? If you're trying to use a USB for this,  it doesn't have to be 3.0. Also please create your own thread so we can get a support experience tailored to you.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. The fixes don't work so I will have to send my xbox back for a service. The online my service doesn't even work for me. I put in a service request and it continues to say an error occurred please try again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi yuey22.

Sorry you're having issues with submitting an Xbox Repair. As this thread is a bit old, and the OP has his answer, I would suggest creating your own thread so the community can support your exact issue.

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem, the update being pushed was gagging my xbox. When it first happened, the files I had wouldn't work for some reason on my xbox.

I used the Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool to redownload the files to restore to factory settings. using the OSUDT2 file or whatever its called would not work. But the system restore one did. Then it would fail every time it tried to do the system update. So I had to download it and manually load it as well. Now everything is working, including downloading digital games. Fortunately most of my stuff was saved on an external HDD, but its still downloading stuff as I type this....

Sorry this didn't help.