Beware of DLCs!

I recently purchased "the Infamy of King George" DLCs for Assassins Creed 3 from Xbox Live as they were on sale, the download went OK but when playing episode1 my console froze so I had no option but restart my Xbox. This I did but then found that all 4 GOLD memberships I own had disappeared from my hard drive. I tried to download the lead profile from Xbox Live, everything went OK until the profile started to download, then it stopped and said profiles were unavailable for downloads at this time, try again later. I repeated the process several times but to the same end.

I contacted Xbox support through the website chat option and after over 2 hours of trouble shooting tips it was evident that my hard drive was now damaged!

Xbox informed me that the console needed to be sent for repair and I would have to pay £43.50.

This refused to pay as I am convinced that as the console was working perfectly before I purchased and played the download!

As things stand I have lost my DLCs, the money I paid for them, and now my console is damaged!

Xbox are totally unwilling to take any responsibility for this and I would like to share this experience  with the Xbox community!

BUYER BEWARE!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

If it's the hard drive that is damaged then you shouldn't have to send the console in for a repair.  Try using a different hard drive or a USB flash drive (up to 32 gbs).  If you choose the flash drive option then be sure to remove the current hard drive from the console.

If you have no issues with downloading the accounts or the DLC and playing them then you will probably need to get a new hard drive for the console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A game or DLC cannot break the console, they have no access to protected memory areas.  It sounds as if your HDD went bad (said above).  This has nothing to do with any purchases you made however.

The likely scenario is that there was already a pre-existing damaged sector on the HDD.  You purchased and installed a DLC to that area then during the course of gameplay the game couldn't read from that sector causing it to crash.  You then force re-start your console which compromised the HDD integrity even more.

Remove the HDD, stick in a 1 to 32 gig flash drive, format it, and you should be fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar problem. This is strange, but my Xbox issues started when I bought Red Dead Redemption. It was working perfectly until it. Now it is really slow, and not even completes the RDR download.

Sorry this didn't help.

If your hard drive is damaged and you do need a new one all your dlc's are not lost!

You can re download  again for free when you have a new hard drive

Sorry this didn't help.