Best settings for my TV?

Hi, I am kind of having some issues with my TV and Xbox 360.

First off, I have a 40" Philips LED TV 1080p and can go up to 120Hz.

I have two different HDMI cables, one with Gold tips and the other with Silver tips.

On my Xbox 360 Slim, I am using the Gold tips and the picture looks great.  But I just noticed that the picture is pretty blurry when I am turning left or right really fast or looking up or down in Gears 3.

The reason I noticed this was because I just plugged up my old Pro Xbox 360 with the Silver tip HDMI cables and the picture did not blur at all.  Everything moved pretty well and was very fluid.  But, the movement on the screen was not in sync with when I was pressing a button on the controller.  It was about a second worth of lag between me hitting a button and the game recognizing it.

Both Xbox's have the same video settings but the Pro model's screen is a bit darker while the Slim's screen is a bit brighter. 

So my question is, what can I do to make my Slim 360 play like the Pro 360 but without the button lag? 

Because I really don't feel like I am getting the best possible picture when playing on the Slim 360 with the blur and everything.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Sounds like you have input lag/motion blur issues. Did you plug your Pro 360/silver HDMI into the same port that the Slim 360 was in when you tested it out, or was it another HDMI port? I'm guessing it's simply display settings on your HDMI input. You should check out what picture settings you used for the Pro 360/silver HDMI and replicate them on the other HDMI input. Either that or you could switch the HDMI cable to the other HDMI port and see if you get the results you're looking for.

[quote user="Silent Paradigm"]

Sounds like you have input lag/motion blur issues. Did you plug your Pro 360/silver HDMI into the same port that the Slim 360 was in when you tested it out, or was it another HDMI port? I'm guessing it's simply display settings on your HDMI input. You should check out what picture settings you used for the Pro 360/silver HDMI and replicate them on the other HDMI input. Either that or you could switch the HDMI cable to the other HDMI port and see if you get the results you're looking for.

[/quote] I had the Slim Xbox in HDMI port 1 and the Pro Xbox in HDMI port 2.  I wasn't aware that the settings could be different on each port.  Thanks for letting me know, I will check that out and see what is different on both Ports.

Well I figured out what was going on.  On My Slim input I had "Digital Natural Motion" set to Off.  But on the Pro 360 it was set to Minimum.  And this really sucks because the games move so fluid and look amazing without the motion blur.  But I can't figure out how to make it so it doesn't get the 1 second of lag from the controller.

The "Natural Motion" feature is almost certainly the cause of the input lag. It takes up a lot of processing time and therefore delays the image going to the screen, meanwhile you're sitting there waiting for it to respond to your input. Try looking for a 'Game Mode' in your TV's menu and see if you can enable it. That could resolve your input lag issues.

In addition to what SIlend Paradigm said, the inherent problem of DNM and similar motion compensating systems is that they must buffer up several frames in order to compare past, present and "future" ones and estimate how things are moving. So it's not just the latency from the processing itself, but the very nature of having to delay everything by at least one frame so that it can be analyzed and referenced.

In other words, no matter how fast they make the motion estimation and rendering of intermediate frames, this processing will always cause lag.

Hey i noticed it on my samsung D6100 the edges seem to blur on gears 3 i set it to clear on my TV options i can c it a little bit still i think once u get used to it u wont notice it. I was wondering if u could tell me with the 1080p the dash looks a little bit blurry but even though the game graphics look amazing i never noticed it on my 1080i TV is it the same for u.  

The only thing that is a bit blurry is the words and letters.  Everything else looks fine.