Best settings for a SDTV for Xbox

Hi im a fan on Xbox but i wanna know what are the best settings for a xbox 360 on a SDTV

for example Contrast,Color,Brightness,Sharpness,Tint 

if someone could answer that would be great

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

It depends on your T.V. but you won't suffer the same glare on a CRT T.V. that you would on LCD or LED so set your brightness high to make more of the game world you're playing in visible.  It's all down to preference though and won't make much difference if you're enjoying a game and can see what's going on.  There are loads of variances on T.V's beyond what you mention.

Yeah, it depends on the TV. Buy a calibration disc like Avia or Video Essentials. While it does come down to preference... My personal preference is an accurate picture. And that is something not open to preference (it's either accurate or it's not). It's also something that's difficult to eyeball, especially if you're not sure exactly what something is supposed to look like. That's why calibration software is necessary... Because it will tell you exactly what each pattern is for & how to make it look accurate. After that, if something doesn't look right, it's the material in question, not the display settings.

A good starting point for getting the basic settings right on an SDTV may be a THX certified DVD that has the THX Optimizer on it. It contains patterns to cover the basic settings.

Tint should only apply to composite video (yellow connection) and S-video (small round connector with four pins), and for adjusting that precisely you could either get a blue filter or just tweak it by eye so that color bars show pure looking colors, without any overall bias toward green or purple.

Something to remember is that while originally Microsoft had stringent demands on developers to optimize their games for SD with respect to text legibility and overscan, the increased popularity of HD has made them more lax with SD optimization. Some games may be difficult to play in SD because of such things as text being hard to read.

[quote user="Zacabeb"]

A good starting point for getting the basic settings right on an SDTV may be a THX certified DVD that has the THX Optimizer on it. It contains patterns to cover the basic settings.

[/quote]

I was going to mention that, but unless the user knows what those test patterns are really for and how to adjust them properly, the THX patterns are of little use. Honestly, I don't remember if there are instructions of any type with the THX patters, so I didn't bother.