Being banned and not having Xbox Live Gold or having befriended anyone on Xbox Live.

My husband and I are the only ones that play our Xbox 360.  We do not have a Gold membership, although we may have had a free trial 6 or 7 years ago when we bought our first 360.  (The ones that gave the fabled "red ring of doom").  We sent that one off to Xbox, because they were at least gracious enough to extend the original warranty from 6 months to 1 year.  We received a new one a month or so later, and after the warranty on that one expired it started having the same problems.  Finally, we just had to break down and buy the one we currently own, new, from a gaming store.  Since we already had a perfectly good hard drive (not to mention with all our gaming data and downloads on it), we just bought the Arcade version and popped our hard drive into it.  Three to four years ago.  If that's what modifying your Xbox is......guilty as charged.  The only game we play online is Final Fantasy 11, which does not require an Xbox Live Gold membership, just the standard free Silver, because SquareEnix provided their own online service, PlayOnline.  I have never had any problem with these two being compatible, in the 6-7 years of running them on Xbox 360.  My husband and I play this together, but he plays from the pc.  If you check my gaming history, you may find downloadable content....you may find games that are Xbox Live Gold compatible....then you might notice that I haven't befriended anyone, nor do I have a Gold account, nor have I played online with any of those games.  

What I was told on the phone with one of your representatives was that Xbox went through and did a massive ban, and that not all consoles that were banned were necessarily guilty of anything.  She sounded flustered, but she was very sweet and patient and helped me submit a complaint on here, that I cannot find (either because it's lost in a sea of other complaints, or because it wasn't approved; although I feel I was rather agreeable, given the circumstances).  The first of the month, my husband and I had the charges for four separate Final Fantasy XI memberships taken out of our bank.  (I have two sons who also play on their computers with my husband and I).  One son is balancing a job, school, friends, and a girlfriend, the other is always on the computer when he is home, and neither one uses the Xbox or is allowed to borrow it, mostly because they have their own gaming systems, and because, once I'm done for the day, it's my "break".  (I'm not a big t.v. person).

I apologize for going over into depth about things, but I feel like one of the kids in the class who wasn't responsible for the spitballs aimed at the teacher's back, but who, nevertheless, has to miss recess, so she can punish the right one or ones.

I just realized something, however.  My console had been rather noisy, as of late, and my husband suggested it might be on its last legs because he thought it might be either a. the processor, or b. the modem, or c. the fan.  When I would start it up and try to play any game, it would make a horrific whining, grinding noise (to be honest, it reminded me of the Atari or Nintendo car race game sounds).  It seemed to go away whenever I got logged into Final Fantasy, but with every other game, it just abated a bit.  I originally thought, perhaps it was the processor, since the fan cuts on intermittently, and the modem is obviously in use, because it always signed me into Xbox Live automatically when I powered up the console.  But, since I can't sign in anymore, it doesn't make that noise so much.  It's a lot quieter.  So, if there was something wrong with my modem (i.e. it was on its way out) could that cause a red flag to go up?  Just curious.  It would stink to be banned because of a mechanical issue, but it would also make me feel better, in a way.  

I also saw a post earlier on a 160 or so Xbox point glitch (don't know if there is any truth in that, or not) that happened a little while back.  It does seem as though I had more points at one point than I had thought, and I'm sure they were probably spent, but it's not hard to hit the "add points" button while you're looking at downloadable content for games or avatars.  Especially if you're distracted or tired, and you have your credit card information on file with the Marketplace.  (I've done it before).  If it's about that glitch, I don't mind paying for the points.  They're not that expensive.  

If you know any "other" possible reasons why a console might have been banned other than offensive language, modifying the console, getting illegal content (not sure how that's possible), or any other reason that was given on the Console Bans page, I would really appreciate it.  If you could reverse the ban, as well, that would be nice also.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Microsoft do not un-ban previously banned consoles as they are permanent. They do not ban people's consoles/accounts lightly, they do so after several investigations.

The most common reason for a banned console is modifying it, but there are other reasons such as marketplace theft.

You might want to post in section 14 in order to get an official answer. Although they might just delete your thread and post a link like below as they do not discuss console bans. 

Console Ban

You might also want to check out this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Xbox live is designed to try and find modified xboxes. It's possible that damaged or broken xboxes can register as modified, since they are not operating in the way they should be.

-

For example, hackers will unplug their disk drive to modify their 360. Since no honest person has any reason to do this, an unplugged disk drive = automatic instant ban.

-

But for every person who's disk drive honestly broke, there were 1,000 people cheating.

-

All console bans are final and irreversible. But if your modem was really causing that kind of noise, it was likely to red ring of death soon anyway. A console ban is better than RROD, since the former still allows games offline. But either one leads to needing a new xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the input, guys.  And I know it's not my HDD.  That's working fine.  So I guess it might be the modem, since there is a drastic change in the sound coming from the console since I can't go online.  I suppose, originally, when it was suggested by my husband, I figured the modem would have made that awful noise the whole time I was logged into FFXI, since it's continuously switching between servers, and, of course, continuously online.  So I figured the processor, because FFXI is actually on the HDD, but once your signed in, the game is "online" and most or all of the information comes from SquareEnix's servers.  If it is due to a mechanical failure, that, at least makes me feel a little better.  I don't like being seen as a pirate, criminal, scumbag, piece of "fertilizer", or anything else unsavory.  I've stuck with Microsoft through (now) three consoles, and, of course, they're my operating system on my pc. .   They did try to make amends for the first few Xbox 360 models that had kinks in them.  You would think that they could "unban" consoles, though, as I was hoping to have some time before we bought a new one.  We had arrived at the conclusion that our younger son could have the old one (provided it wasn't a console-ending problem), and to be honest, he doesn't care about having Xbox Live.  But right now, we just can't afford it.   

Again, thank you.  Take care.

Sorry this didn't help.

Even self-repairs can cause console bans.

Sorry this didn't help.

For account suspensions, please post in forums.xbox.com/.../41.aspx.

For console bans, please read http://xbox.com/consoleban.

For "marketplace theft" issues, please read forums.xbox.com/.../62589.aspx.

For general info on violations and penalties, please read support.xbox.com/.../terms-of-use-conduct.

Sorry this didn't help.