Battlefield 3 Will Employ Online Pass, Required for Multiplayer

In an offhanded way, Electronic Arts has confirmed that Battlefield 3 will indeed use Online Pass. Responding on Twitter to a fan asking if a new copy was required to play multiplayer, DICE core gameplay designer Alan Kertz responded, "You can also purchase an online pass for a used copy." Kertz explained the reasoning behind Online Pass to another fan, writing, "Because servers cost money, and used games don't make developers any money."

Of course, the fact that an EA-published title will include Online Pass isn't exactly surprising, and we've suspected as much for Battlefield 3 for months now. What issomewhat surprising is that Battlefield 3's Online Pass is required for all multiplayer access. In the game's predecessor, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Online Pass granted players extra multiplayer content, but was not required for multiplayer access. Then again, that was before Online Pass started earning millions of dollars.

Source: - Clicky!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yeah, i think it was pretty much confirmed a while back now, there was a good interview floating around as for the reasons, was all server releated etc etc

Take it you didn't look in the Game Discussion area (like no-one else does),

Whole 10 pages on Battlefield 3 forums.xbox.com/.../2282.aspx

if they are going to have an online pass for batman AC,a game with no online play,this was bound to happen.

This is one of the many reasons BF will never beat COD.

well said Alchemist my forum friend, i believe cod wont have one?

How can you have a an online pass if the game has no online?

[quote user="UnchargedTerror"]

i believe cod wont have one?

[/quote]

No it wont, but then COD doesnt have dedicated servers. But then you do have the whole COD Elite thing....ya know...that 35£ the made for the fans.... 

[quote user="SFA OK"]How can you have a an online pass if the game has no online?

[/quote]

True but instead they give you a unlock code for a extra charector instead if bought new.

I have started to have the attitude that when you buy a new game a  online pass will be required. And if theres not one required then thats a bonus.  The way the gaming industry is going most games are now deploying this method .It gets in lost profit when the game becomes a preowned.  Look at the latest ploy games are doing now- a dlc season pass -gears3,forza 4.  Yes we are saving 33% but is there a need.Is this a marketing skill be used and a way of fooling us as the customer to make us think great we are saving loads and really the gaming industry is making money. If you know what I am trying to get at.  Don't get me wrong I went and got my Gears3 season pass lol. But the gaming industry is starting to get expensive.Maybe you agree??

Its an EA game so of course its going to have an online pass!!! Along with day one DLC and the obligatory patch too.

Shame about Batman having an online pass - I wanted to rent this game. :-(

They had an online pass for Alice, which was SP, the 'online' pass entitled you to play The American McGee Alice game.....and it also withheld 100g when purchased second hand. Despicable.