Battlefield 3 MP will require code to access it...but not "Online Pass"

Battlefield 3 players will "probably" need to register online using a box code to play the game's multiplayer. Think that sounds suspiciously like another outing for EA's controversial Online Pass system? Wrong! According to executive producer Patrick Bach, the Battlefield 3 strategy is completely different. Sort of.

"I don't think it's an online pass," Bach quibbled when pushed on the matter by Gamerzines. "I think it's our own backend. I'm not sure I want to call our system an online pass."

OK then. So will you be locking people out of the game's multiplayer component if they buy second hand? "I think we are." Right.

Bach rejected the suggestion that an online pass system would redirect sales to pass-less competitor Modern Warfare 3, pointing out that prior Battlefields "always had a code in the box in one way or another".

Past code initiatives have been confined to multiplayer content, however, rather than multiplayer access full stop.

"The whole idea is that we're paying for servers, and if you create a new account there is a big process on how that is being handled in the backend," Bach went on, defending the move.

"We would rather have you buy a new game than a used game because buying a used game is only a cost to us. We don't get a single dime from a used game, but we still need to create server space and everything for you. 

"We want people to at least pay us something to create this because we're paying for it. It was actually a loss for us to have new players.

"Hopefully people understand why. It's not to punish people. To us it's compensation."

Activision will launch a new digital platform, Call of Duty Elite, alongside Modern Warfare 3 in November. It offers a mix of paid and free content. However, the publisher has said it will not charge for "anything that currently comes as part of the value proposition for the game", including multiplayer access.

We published an article in defence of the online pass trend in April, followed by an OXM reader rebuttal. Take a look.

Source = http://www.oxm.co.uk/31978/news/battlefield-3-multiplayer-probably-getting-online-pass-report/

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

An interesting view...doubt anyone will believe its not another Online Pass structure...but the explanation for why it is being used shows the business side to the evolution of such schemes now used by most online publishers

Online Passes don't bother me really, when I get games they're almost always brand new anyway. I can understand why these companys are doing this more and more. Though as of now some codes aren't just for multiplayer, rather Multiplayer content

The only thing I'm thinking about though is if these online pass codes become used by the developers more and more to be able to play a games multiplayer modes, will make me question why we need an Xbox Live Gold subscription in the future seeing as the main reason most get Gold is for the multiplayer access :/

Your Xbox LIVE subscription allows you to use the LIVE service to play the games on and for its other online features......paying for LIVE isnt the same as paying to access MP in a game. Maybe MS is or has a deal in the shadows to get a slice of this MP market in order for them to have the games available through LIVE??

As long as there is a way to purchase a reasonably price multiplayer code and buying a 2nd hand copy of the game and a code would work out to be cheaper than buying a full price version then I have no problem with this.

[quote user="Cokney Charmer"]

"The whole idea is that we're paying for servers, and if you create a new account there is a big process on how that is being handled in the backend," Bach went on, defending the move.

"We would rather have you buy a new game than a used game because buying a used game is only a cost to us. We don't get a single dime from a used game, but we still need to create server space and everything for you. 

"We want people to at least pay us something to create this because we're paying for it. It was actually a loss for us to have new players.

"Hopefully people understand why. It's not to punish people. To us it's compensation."

[/quote]

After reading this I fully support the reasoning behind why they do it.

If you buy the game brand new it doesn't affect you in the slightest. Buy the game secondhand and you pay for your server space. Pretty fair in my opinion seems it's not Microsoft providing it.

I've gamed on the PC for years so have always had to put up with an online pass because of the cd-key, so don't have a great problem with companies employing a similar system on the consoles.

However while I don't question the online pass, it does bring into question the cost of Gold.

Just going with new copies. On the PC I pay for my internet connection and the game, I then get to play. On the 360 I have to pay for my internet, the game and a Gold subscription.

To me with the online pass gaining popularity on the consoles, Microsoft are going to have to take a look at the value for money the Gold subscription represents. Especially since they are going to be making Live a big part of the upcoming Windows 8 and on the PC they offer online play over Live no matter your subscription level.

But the value of Gold only comes into question when you buy secondhand, of which no one can blame a company for trying to make up their losses. They're here to make money, not give it away, at the end of the day. They make nothing from you buying a game secondhand.

It's a done to the death debate, but ultimately there's nothing wrong with it as long as it's secondhand sales that are affected only.

To me it must be questioned even if the game is new.

I buy Battlefield 3 on the PC brand new I pay just twice (new copy of the game and my internet connection). I buy Battlefield 3 on the 360 I pay three times (new copy of the game, internet connection and then Gold subscription).

Same game, servers from the same company, yet with with the 360 I have to pay again to someone else to access the online.

The inclusion of an online pass in more titles just invites larger comparison with PC gaming. The same platform where Microsoft themselves provide online play over Live for Silver members.

Isnt the second hand market the blame of the companies, anyway? 

At the end of the day, more people would hang onto games if they were of better quality and longer in length. People sell games because they either finish them or they are not very good.

Im my eyes, if you want to kill the second hand market, make better games that people will want to keep!  

Battlefield will never beat COD even if its 10x better plus this online pass system doesn't help any games multilayer in the long run. I will never buy an online pass for any game unless its totally worth my cash and the severs wont be SHUT DOWN in a few years like EA servers.