Bad HDMI Port?

Just wondering if there's anything I can do about the HDMI port on my xbox?  I know it has to be a problem with the xbox because I tried multiple different ports on my TV, and tried two different HDMI cables.  I was playing a game earlier today just fine, but when I turned my xbox back on after a little break, I couldn't get the display.  I'm now forced to use the composite cables, and it's unreal how much of a difference it makes, I can't stand the picture... Any way to fix it without sending it in?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 65 Applies to:

This is clearly a hardware issue, likely the result of normal wear and tear. Any tampering with the console will result in a void of your warranty. The best option you have available to you would be to send it in for repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That does sound annoying. Just to make sure it's the xbox itself, have you tried using it with another tv? It could be a case of some random buttons being pushed on the tv remote (happened to me a few times) causing the picture not to appear. Is your console still under warranty?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I tried it on another TV and it worked, I don't remember ever pushing any buttons on the other tv, any idea what could have changed?  And my warranty expired in October of last year.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I hooked up my console to my other TV and changed the HD settings to 720p, and disabled where it automatically chooses the settings, Then I set it up to my normal TV and it worked.... Until I turned it off for a break, and now three hours later I've got the same problem.... Please respond

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, this is interesting. The most likely cause of the problem is using a dodgy HDMI cable. In a few "expensive" brands the plugs tend to develop a bad connection with the cable itself. Are your cable terminators solidly connected to the cable or do the wobble around?

Sorry this didn't help.