Bad connection to xbox live

So I've had trouble with my speeds on xbox live for about 3 months now. I can connect just fine, but when I try to play a game it will either just keep searching (and never find a game) or I can join a game, but when I do I have a huge lag. So I went online and learned how to open my NAT. However nothing changed. So I Opened UPnP, and put my xbox in the DMZ and then did Port Forwarding. It still didnt work. Then I was told that having all that on (the UPnP, DMZ, and Port Forwarding) can make it lag. So I turned off UPnP and DMZ but I'm still having the same problem. So I plugged my xbox straight into the modem and it worked fine, I even hosted games but I can't do that all the time because my family wants to use the internet too. So I'm hoping someone knows what is wrong and can tell me. I'm using a WNR2000 Netgear router, and my ISP says that the problem is the modem is not receiving a good signal from the router, so I've got something set up wrong I would really love some help because I can't use xbox live if I can't get online, so right now I'm wasting money

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Time of day, ISP type (Cable, DSL etc), age of router (network equipment), connection type (wired/wireless), update router firmware (or not) all can cause lag.  Here is a link with some suggestions to try:  support.xbox.com/.../performance

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Netgears typically have an additional setting for NAT that is very easy to miss! I'm not sure what you have enabled so I'll give you a quick run through of what your Netgear setup should be like.

1. Turn off any port forwards you have, specifically for the xbox.

2. Under WAN setup, there should be an option for NAT Filtering. Make sure this is set to open, and make sure the DMZ host is set to your Xbox's IP address.

3. Under LAN setup, add your xbox to the reservation table. Just click on "Add", and on the new page, select your xbox from the reservation table, type in "xbox" for the device name, add again and apply. This part is optional, but it ensures your xbox IP doesn't change.

4. Last thing, disable UPnP temporarily. Retest your connection on the xbox, then reenable. This ensures that any UPnP portmaps are cleared off.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.