backward compatible

just bought  a xbox one the other day. i thought they were supposed to be backwards compatible.? i put in a 360 disk and it wouldn't play. so what's the truth? is it or is it not compatible?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 34 Applies to:

Hi there the xbox one cannot play 360 discs but you can plug a hdmi cable from your 360 to your xbox one's hdmi in port that way you can play your 360 games on your xbox one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Xbox One and Xbox 360 are not compatible.

In the future, there might be some streaming of Xbox 360 games (basically having the game play on a server, and you provide inputs), but there has been no mention of that since the Microsoft company meeting back in September (and through this method, it is very unlikely that your old 360 disks would work as a validation device).

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks guys

Sorry this didn't help.

Backwards compatibility was never even on the table for either of these new consoles.  Honestly, I'm glad it wasn't.  I guess people don't really realize what it would take to make the Xbox One backwards compatible, but for true backwards compatibility you would need alot of the actual xbox 360 hardware inside the One.  It would be atleast $100 more expensive and even bigger than it currently is.  Remember the launch PS3?  $500 to $600, big and bulky, hogged power and ran hot.  Why want all of that just to play old games I can already play on my 360 anyway?  

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I think they should make it backwards compatible. People obviously still enjoy playing N64 games, and it is the same with me wanting to play the games I invested in on a new console. What's the point of paying 500 dollars to restart my games library. Feel like I would be more inclined to buy something where I could transfer my library and freely add new Xbone games as time progresses.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Lil Ani15

It isn't as simple as adding backwards compatibility. The Xbox 360 and the Xbox One run on different architectures, so the Xbox One would need to emulate (which would require extra hardware, as Koop10010 said) or stream, Xbox 360 games in order to get them to work. Here is a list of consoles that I can remember (probably not complete) that had backwards compatibility:

PS2 - (PS1)

PS3 - (PS1 and PS2, but then this was removed because it cost too much)

Xbox 360 (limited amount of Xbox games, and most of them ran worse than on Xbox)

DS - (GBA)

3DS - (DS)

Wii U - (Wii, but they have been rereleasing a bunch of the more well-known games from their previous consoles)

Most of the consoles have not had backwards compatibility. Your example with N64 doesn't make much sense because the N64 wasn't backwards compatible, and there are no systems that can play N64 cartridges besides the N64. The point of paying 500 dollars is to be able to play games that take advantage of the new hardware. It's also an investment, as with most services.

I'm not saying Microsoft shouldn't provide backwards compatibility, but I don't think it is a necessary component right now, as the majority of users haven't even transferred to the next gen yet.

Sorry this didn't help.