backward compatablity games!!

backward compatability games.

i have a 4gb 360 with internal memory unit,i found out 1 of my xbox originals,ODDWORLD,MUNCH'S ODDYSEE,tried to play the game but when it was loaded it stated an external hard drive is required to play original xbox games,can somebody advise me on this issue please!!

i have also connected up my old external hard drive to my new 360 to increase the available memory,i have used the xbox data transfer cable which my new xbox reads as a storage device yet the old games still wont play?? they are on the list generated by  xbox for classic old games,can anybody help me with this isssue please??

chris siddons.  *** Email address is removed for privacy ***  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

BC games require a BC update.  You have to get that either from Xbox.com or from your Live connection.  And your transfer cable is not a storage device.  If your console is reading it as such, then you have bigger problems that just BC ones...

Having said that, does the console actually recognize the old HD?  What console do you have anyway?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@ Red Shift1 - the console will recognize the old drive as a usb drive only.  The problem with that is once the user set it up like that it will never be recognized as a full on xbox hard drive again.

@OP - in order for the BC to work, you must purchase the 250 gb hard drive for use with the 360S.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok.  So the 4bg internal drive is not large enough for BC updates?  

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately the 4 gig models hard drive is actually considered flash memory.  So unless you purchase an actual hard drive to slide into the system there is nothing that can be done.

Sorry this didn't help.

so if i purchase an external hard drive can i connect it up to my console using the data transfer cable that i have at present?

Sorry this didn't help.

To the best of my knowledge you need to have an internal hd for an xbox original game to work.  It is all in the way it downloads the emulation software.  I know that option is a little pricy, but it is the only way to go right now.  I wish the 4 gig models had a big warning on them saying what their limitations are, my friend upgraded before me and he is stuck with the 4 gig.

Sorry this didn't help.

the problem is that by inserting it into the console it will surely void the warranty on it??

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know about that.  My son has an Arcade console with the 4G memory.  I just recently bought the 120G and a transfer cable and I put my old 20G external drive on his Arcade and it works fine with Live.  

I don't think that the internal requires taking the console apart.  I believe you just remove something and insert it into the console...not take the console apart.

Sorry this didn't help.

Siddo - you will have to purchase the official 250 gb hard drive required for your xbox.  This is the only thing that will work for the new 360 S models.  Getting an external drive will not solve your problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

The 4GB 360 S's storage space isn't "treated" as flash memory, it IS flash memory. It's attached to an internal USB port on the motherboard.

A HDD is required because every XBOX game expects there to be a 2GB cache partition it can cache game content on. USB's read/write performance and its read/write durability do not lend itself to use as a cache partition for the XBOX. The 2GB cache partition only exists on the 360's HDD. It's part of the 4.7GB of space that the 360 reserves for system usage on every HDD.

The 360 S has a small trap door on the right/bottom of the console. That's where the HDD goes. This bay is empty on the 4GB 360 S. Opening the trap door and fitting an official 250GB 360 S HDD does not void the warranty on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.