Avoid Installing "Skyrim" to the Hard Drive For Now

The developers of "Skyrim" are cautioning against installing it to your Hard Drive for the time being:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1258645-texture-scaling-on-360/

This is because they've experienced the high res textures not displaying when the game is installed tot he 360's hard drive.

They confirm that it runs fine from the disc without this problem and this is how people should play until there's a patch.

Az

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I played for about 3 hours last night and I only noticed once when walking up the side of a snow/ice covered mountain that the textures did seem to go a bit weird but it didn't last long and for me doesn't warrant deleting the install yet!

Like has been said I'm sure a patch/fix won't be too far off.

I'll be installing this to hard drive, as I do with all my games. A few blurry textures don't really bother me as long as it doesn't affect the story / game.

I experienced this first hand. I should have taken photos of the same area from there HDD, and from the DVD. Lets just say the walls, were a mere blur from the HDD in all that section with no detail at all, and my arm textures also. Played the same section from the DVD and the walls and arms were all hi rez details textures again.

The Bethesda guys really know their way around the XBox 360 hardware.

When the released "Oblivion" there was an issue with the cache system fragmenting, causing speech animations to warp and causing the game to chug and slow down as you moved accross the landscape.

They patched it very quickly and made it so holding down the "A" button at the main title screen would automatically clear the 360 cache.

I suppose they didn't want to be caught out by it again but maybe did too good a job this time.

Az

Sounds to me like people who play it constantly might not have an issue but those who play other games in between and not allowing it to fully cache might be experiencing issues.  Glad to see they're working on a patch and another good reason for me to keep my copy sealed until the holidays!

Thanks for the official update Az.

I always play from the disk.  Never installed a game and never will.

[quote user="Mexicola1984"]

Not sure mate, ill have had my console 4 years this Christmas, ill be keeping mine installed though! Sod Bethesada....what do they know!?

[/quote]

LOL, they know nothing ;)

Mines installed again now and  the game looks fantastic to me so it shall be staying that way!

Not sure mate, ill have had my console 4 years this Christmas, ill be keeping mine installed though! Sod Bethesada....what do they know!?

When I heard about this yesterday I actually deleted my installed game and played for an hour from the disc and maybe my eyes are not trained to see the differences but I honestly couldn't see any.

From reading various sites though it doesn't seem to affect everybody that has it installed, so I'm wondering why? Could it be to do with older/newer consoles?  .....

I knoticed some grainy textures out in the wilds but forgave them because i was out in the wilds. also seen some "lines" in high brightness areas such as the snowy part