Auto-Renewal Trap

Hello,

First off, I would like to say that although I find the XBOX Live GOLD service useful for some, it just wasn't for me. Now, I'm pretty sure when signing up for it, I implicitly stated to NOT have it auto-renew. Yet, once it expired, since I didn't get any use out of it really, I decided not to renew it. Now, the problem is this. I can not even sign in to the service due to not renewing my GOLD status. Upon reading on how to get it 'unsuspended' (Yes, folks, you've heard it right. I've been suspended for not enewing GOLD), it says to log into account on XBOX Live account and clcik 'change' next to auto-renewal. However, upon scouring up and down, there is nothing label auto-renewal, either on the front page or in any of the sub-menus. What am I missing here? Have I been pigeon-holed into gimping my account by going GOLD in the first place and if so, how do I get reimbursed for the points currently on my account? If not, then where the heck is the option to change auto-renewal. Thanks for reading.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Okay, i'll get right to it. First off, click My Account in the upper right corner. Right under the grey bolded "My Account", there should be a pic of your avatar. To the right of that, there'll be your account info. Right under that, it should say "Auto-Renew:on/off" below that, it should have one green highlighted word, "Change".

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply Lone Seeker, and while yes, according to you, as well as the info I have read, it should be there, but it's not. All I have is my Avatar, then under that a link to View Profile. Beside my Avatar in the Account info area you mentioned are my MS Points and under that a link to Add Points and that's it for that area. Then at the very bottom are various links to things such as changing payment methods, privacy settings, billing addresses, etc, etc... none of which have the option to change auto-renewal. I'm at a loss as to where this elusive setting is. Later I may see if I can find some kind of setting on my actual XBox.  I was hoping I could solve this without a support call (God, I hate those), but it's starting to look like that is the only way. Just as a note, this is not helping in my decision should I maybe contemplate renewing someday. I know, as if you care. Just saying though. Again, thanks for trying to help Lone Seeker. For what it's worth, I appreciate it.

Sorry this didn't help.

EDIT: I should also mention that it does prompt me to renew upon signing in, but gives me no option to downgrade back to Silver. Come on, Microsoft, really? Are you that desperate for cash? If you are, just ask and I'll lend you a few bucks. I just don't wanna pay for something that I get almost zero use from.

Sorry this didn't help.

1-If you purchase any ms points/subscription time from the Marketplace, even if you have AR turned off, the system will automatically turn it back on.

2-If you can not find the option to turn it off via your console or the website then you can always call phone support and have them turn it off. Just an aside you may not be able to turn it off due to the fact you owe MS money.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice, so bait and switch. That would be why then. Because I do purchase MS Points regularly and had no idea they switched my setting on me. If those sort of tactics are legal, God help us. Thanks for that info Temhotabot. I think I'm about done with XBox and Microsoft in general after finding that stunt out.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not a bait and switch if you're told about it explicitly before signing up. Heck they even tell you about it switching back on if you buy more sub time.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not a bait and switch when the company tells you that is exactly what will happen when you purchase the item(s). If you enjoy the service but do not like having to worry about a credit/debit card charge then you should just use pre-paid cards.

Sorry this didn't help.

ive learned something what happened to me, i now only use credit card for points, coz i too got suspended coz i had auto renewal on and no money.

Sorry this didn't help.

Buying MS points has nothing to do with auto renewal. It will not turn it on if you had it set to off.

When you buy the gold sub it states Auto Renewal will be turned on and you will be notified in the product description of when the renewal dates will be and how much it will be. You do not get to select "No" to AR when you are purchasing, you have to buy then got to the account section and turn it off. Or contact support and have them do it.

Now, its sounds like you are experiencing a billing issue which has restricted your ability to change the AR status. Maybe your details couldn't be charged for a renewal and your account has been suspended? You would have recieved emails and console notifications about this (which most people seem to ignore).

Please contact phone support for your region and speak to the billing department, they will be able to fully explain any billing issues on your account and hopefully you will be able to meet a happy resolution to the issue.

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I want to jump in and echo what many others have said. First off I want to apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. I know billing problems can be unpleasant. Unfortunately we are unable to assist with billing issues from the forums. However, I do want to reassure you that if you get in touch with phone support they will be able to help you resolve this issue quickly. You can even request a phone call so you don't need to spend any time on hold. You can find contact information here: support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions.

Sorry this didn't help.